Wednesday 3 February 2021

Too tight clothing?

Do you remember my brown Fair Isle sweater? It was the first garment Gail knitted for me and I am still fond of it. 

I thought it would be a nice change to wear it to the park yesterday morning. Can you believe what Gail said?

"Bertie, are you quite sure? I fear that jumper is a little tight these days. You are, may I remind you, a wee bit 'sturdier' than back in 2015."

Readers, I contend that I am in NO WAY sturdier (which we all know is a polite way of saying 'fatter') and if the jumper is tighter it is surely 'cos Gail shrank it in the wash...

Gail then went on to make matters worse.

"You wouldn't want to be like one of those undignified human males who insist on wearing the close-fitting clothes of their younger days, despite having acquired a generous layer business-lunch induced insulation, would you? When I worked for a company in Central London one of my colleagues would ask what is the most stressful job in Enterprise Oil, then would answer his own question saying that it's being one of Ian ******'s shirt buttons..."

Really, this was taking things too far. I reminded Gail how since her retirement, and the best part of a year of lockdown, I have had more exercise than ever before, and am now as lithe and well-toned as any nearly eleven year old wire-haired fox terrier. 

The pictures taken during yesterday's walk tell the rest of the story. 



16 comments:

  1. that are that calories what lure in da wardrobe and sew all our clothes tighter over night... it happened with our harnesses... and because our smart mama stitched them together that nothing will slip, we need new harnesses now... or a diet, but that is no option LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Bertie, I think that Gail just doesn't want to admit that she shrank that lovely sweater in the wash. Studier indeed - with all your extra exercise, that will be pure muscle!

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I think it looks fabulous on you, Bertie. There is no "extra" on that handsome bod!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari om
    Gracious, Bertie lad, there is nothing to fret about here!!! As long as something goes on and can be takn off again, there is absolutely no reason to make such disparaging remarks!!! Hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Molly, you look fit as a fiddle and fine and dandy and the sweater looks grrrreat on you. I mean JUMPER not sweater. oops... it matches your furs perfectly. I love monotones.. and beautiful dogs in jumpers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh dear handsome and fit Bertie...I 100% agree. Muscle is heavier than fat and I'm 87% sure that means muscle makes ones jumpers a wee bit tighter. Oh what a giggle this gave me
    "then would answer his own question saying that it's being one of Ian ******'s shirt buttons..." I know exactly what you mean.
    I had the exact experience during my career too. Bless his heart he was a delightful young professor, we both started in Physics 1992.
    As the years passed, his 'shirt buttons' were nano seconds away from popping. So much that often one could see his belly. He did not buy new things and I declare the day I retired he was still wearing the exact pair of white leather sneakers that he had in 1992...but they were no longer white.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bertie, you were right! That sweater fits you perfectly. You look so happy romping around in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thinks you're just FLUFFIER! It's all your extra furs, NOT extra business lunches! Then again, it could just be all MUSCLE! 💪
    Yuppers, I thinks that's it!
    Anyhu, your jumper looks most FABulous on your my furiend...not at all too tight!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bertie, would you look at that. It fits perfectly on you. All the adventures you have been going on helped out but you look very happy in the photos to show your sweater off. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful day.
    World of Animals Bensalem

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blame it all on muscle mass. The imagination is a muscle. If it is not exercised, it atrophies. Imagine always being able to fit into the sweater.
    Your friend
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
  11. We don't see the problem at all, Bertie!!! IN fact all we see is handsome and stylish YOU!!!

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perhaps Gail should hand wash your sweaters in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are lookin' good, Bertie. That is a a very handsome jumper, and you are looking svelte!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bertie....you look fabulous whatever you wear...and you're fit as a butcher's dog......perhaps go easy on the shortbread and cheesy oatcakes treats though 😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  15. It still looks great Bertie! But maybe your rear end is a tiny bit more exposed? Just saying!

    ReplyDelete