Friday 17 December 2021

Botanical Bertie?

I am delighted to be able to tell you that last week, for once, I was allowed to join Gail at one of her meetings with her botanist friends.

The plan was for a walk along the old railway line, looking out for any wildflowers still in bloom at this unpromising time of year. 

Apparently the reason I'm normally excluded from such outings is that I'm considered too impatient. Where that idea comes from is a mystery to me...

The sharp eyed ladies (not necessarily Gail) spotted eight different species in bloom, although, to be honest, most of the flowers were looking rather sad. I posed nicely beside some yarrow and I'm sure you'll agree that my presence rescued what would otherwise have been an unimpressive picture. 

For the record, the other plants seen in flower were: gorse, dandelion, ragwort, broom, ivy, bugloss and one other we can't remember. Gail claims she didn't manage to take any more flower photos as she was too busy chasing after a certain deaf WFT...

Happy Nature Friday! 

12 comments:

  1. but you could find da impatients in bloom with being impatient... so they need you ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Well, Bertie lad, I am impressed that any flowers were found at all... then again, we have had ridiculously mild weather for the season (with the occasional dip to reality...) I am sure the ladies all thorough enjoyed your company and I hope this was not the first and last such outing for you! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Bertie, you have to remember that us more mature ladies like to take our time over these things. I'm sure there was much discussion as to the species of each flower they found. If you just walk slowly on ahead, I'm sure they'll invite you again. More importantly, did they bring treats?
    Who would notice the flower in the photo, even though you were standing right next to it? You
    are such a scene stealer!

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lot of blooms to see in mid-December! You look so fluffy and cute, Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting purpose for taking a walk! I wish I had knowledgeable, and interested, friends to walk with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bouncing Botanical Bertie well done on proving your skills and patience to Gail and crew.
    You look so handsome
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool to find flowers in bloom in December. Our pawrents told us they saw some dandelions blooming at an arboretum they were at this week. We've never seen that here in December. What crazy weather we're having.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the reason my hubby doesn't want to go to the preserves and wander with me, is he is also impatient and can't understand why it takes 1/2 hour to go 20 feet.. what a great idea for a walk and so happy you could go with them.. yes you are the best flower in the photos. hugs Bertie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cakes from the other day - amazing. We are sure Gail would not have found so many flowers without you! Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're lucky! The only flowers we have blooming outside are a few dandelions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you are the opposite of golf. You make every walk more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure your expert knowledge was appreciated on the botanical walk, Bertie. So smart of Gail to take you along.

    ReplyDelete