Friday 6 November 2020

In praise of community woodland


Amid the world's turmoil and strife, it's a fine thing, isn't it, to know that people out there are working hard to manage our environment for the benefit of humans, plant and wildlife (and maybe even dogs!)

On Tuesday this week, Gail and I joined our friends M and J for a walk around Slewdrum Forest, an area of woodland managed by the Birse Community Trust.

To quote from their website, the aim of the trust is:

"...to manage and develop the Forest as a native forest that has varied habitats and high amenity, while also producing a sustainable supply of timber that contributes financially to other activities carried out by BCT on behalf of the local community" 

'Amenity' includes a network of accessible footpaths and tracks, so come on, what are we waiting for, let's go and explore!

We soon arrive at a viewpoint over the valley of the Dee, and I am of course required to 'pose nicely' for a minute or two.

Onwards then down the track...

... until we join the Deeside Way, a long distance footpath/cycle route from Aberdeen to Ballater. At which point Gail makes me wait for our friends to catch up.

Although soon I'm racing on again - the light is fading and I'm anxious to get back to the carpark.

I do love going for walks to new places with M and J. And thank you so much to the good folk of Birse Community Trust for looking after this piece of our land for all to enjoy. 

Oh but I do have one small request. I hope this doesn't sound ungrateful. I noticed that when we all paused for refreshment en route (Gail, M and J had a flask of coffee and some rock cakes, I was given a rawhide and chicken chew to "keep me quiet") there were no picnic benches available for the humans, so they were compelled to perch, rather uncomfortably I thought, on a damp and mossy log. So perhaps the Community Trust might add the odd seat or two to enhance the 'amenity' aspect of their lovely woodland? Just a thought...

Happy Nature Friday friends! I hope that you too have nice places to explore and nice friends to accompany you.

 

19 comments:

  1. we hope they will bring some benches for da people... but maybe they fear it becomes a place where careless people leave their picnic stuff behind? our benches are removed now from many places to avoid wild parties of da youngsters without brain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      I have to tag on to the Weim's comment because this is exactly what I thought might be the reason! Sadly, if benches are provided, usually bins must be as well and then that encourages lingering and littering... pawhpas 'shooting sticks' are in order??? Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

      Delete
    2. Gail says: I've often wondered what happened to my father's old 'shooting stick'. I suspect it fell victim to one of my mother's bouts of decluttering.

      Delete
  2. Another walk in lovely scenery - you lucky boy Bertie!
    Sadly, we have to agree with easyweimaraner. If there were benches and tables, at this present time there would be temptation to party, and spoil such a beautiful walk for other people.

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great place for a fun fall walk. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bertie OMDs OMWFTs...what a lovely x 87 place for a walk with dear friends for you and Gail. The vistas are stunning...you my handsome friend are leading the charge up and over the hills and dales. I agree there should be at least a few benches to keep all tushies dry.
    Sending you and Gail a ton of hugs and well wishes. Cecilia
    PS did I mention you look very handsome?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing you on that path looking so free and happy and all those beautiful trees and I saw the stumps that would make a good place to sit except if I got down that low I might not be able to get back up. I am now wondering after reading all the comment if maybe there used to be a picnic tables are benches and they moved them because of the pandemic so that people would not. It is a lovely spot to wander

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great place for a walk. It looks like you had so much fun romping on the trails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful day you had to explore with friends, Bertie, and your autumn colors are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That certainly is a gorgeous place to spend time walking and enjoying! Happy Friday! 👍😺

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another fantastic walk. It's fabulous that there are lots of little areas taken care of for everyone to use. A rustic picnic table here and there wouldn't detract and would be appreciated we're sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That footpath looks like a great place for a fun stroll with Gail and friends. And we think your suggestion is an excellent one.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Amenity was the name of the town in Jaws, so look out for sharks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful trail system for an Autumn hike!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely place to walk. Even if their are not picnic tables or benches.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a grand outing, Bertie! It was lovely coming along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pawesome place for a walk! You look like you were having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful walk you had with your friends! My mom and I are a little bit jealous of the lovely vistas you get to enjoy!

    Your freiend Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a pawsome place with plenty to sniff!

    ReplyDelete