Thursday 16 April 2020

Bertie enters the ISO-lympic Canine Heptathlon


Gosh, I am so excited to be participating in the Blogville ISO-lympics, so thoughtfully organised by my Down Under friends Bella, Roxy and Dui. What a brilliant idea!

And huge thanks too to Sweet William the Scot for designing such a wonderful, colourful poster.

The event I am entering is the CANINE HEPTATHLON. This comprises seven different activities, all played within the confines of my house and garden, with equipment found therein.

Lest anyone be unfamiliar with the Canine Heptathlon, let me explain that the sports involved are as follows: squash, badminton, cycling, skiing, rugby, field hockey and hunting. Obviously.

So let's start with the racquet sports. For sure I can be a world beater at squash, playing with my dear departed Human Grandad's 1960's vintage squash racket.

My badminton equipment is more modern, although sadly Gail failed to locate the shuttlecock.

I will admit to being a somewhat unwilling contestant in the cycling category. I think we all know that there in only one bicycle enthusiast in this household and it isn't yours truly...

Cross country skiing is more my cup of tea, although the artificial snow here is somewhat unconvincing.

I was quite keen too on the prospect of a game of field hockey...

... until Gail decided that I should play wearing her c.1975 Nottingham Girls' High School games skirt...

...which somewhat egregiously she also insisted on modelling...

Thankfully, when Gail was younger, girls did not play rugby, so I was spared having to wear any further embarrassing items of sportswear when lining up as fly half for the Scotland team.

Finally I am thrilled to show off my hunting prowess...



...and cannot understand why Gail says that my prize for this event will be the wooden spoon...

I expect that, like me, you can't wait to find out how all our blogging friends have fared in the ISO-lypics. You'll find the links if you click here.

16 comments:

  1. wow Bertie!!!! that was amazing!!! you can do nearly everything and we think you are mr. owlympig!!! btw: that is fantabulous that your Gail still can wear that outfit... the mama tried that too and it ended... different...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Bertie lad, you are a well rounded sportsdog, there is no doubting it!!! (And Gail is clearly not 'rounded' as she can still wear something from her teens... is the wummin human??? &*>) Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Wow Wow Bertie!! You're so good at SO MANY sports, simply incredible! We particularly like the "fake" snow BOL.. and Gail was such a good sport too, modelling her games skirt which she could still fit in (my Momma is envious!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bertie you have literally knocked my slippers off with your array of events in the ISO-lymics! Each individual photo!!
    From beginning to end I was sitting on the edge of my desk chair. HGD's racket is such a treasure. You know I am 100% Team Bertie but
    my dear WFT, you are rockin' that field hockey
    skirt. Gail kudos for still fitting into it also. The fake snow was quite CR8tive!!
    Wow the ISO-lympics panel is about to vote..
    they give your 10 for each event= 70 well done my friend
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bertie you excelled in patience for sure getting your picture with all the things Gail found for your events. Gail can still fit in her high school game skirt WOW no mistake in modeling when Gail have a figure of a teenager.
    Your Friend
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
  6. you might just win the whole thing today, so far I think you have entered more events than any other pup... tell your Mom she gets a ribbon for being able to wear a skirt she wore in highschool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job and extra points for having to wear the peep's clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. High Paws! Pawsome job.
    Wags,
    Ranger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bertie - you did really, really well! Congratulations - I don't think any other doggies could do as well!
    Oh gosh, my human is so envious that Gail can still get into her high school games skirt. Thankfully, for all concerned, my human's games culottes got lost along the way, and we're spared the embarrassment of her trying to struggle into them!

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. We think so many events that involved opposable thumbs might be a handicap. We think you're hunting skills are great NOT wooden spoon category. Now if Gail will just let you run free when you see deer or sheep...we'd see a real display! Great events. And kudos to Gail for still fitting in her Games skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bertie we did not know you were such an athlete. You may end up with the gold medal in the most events!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an amazing display of diverse talents, Bertie! I had no idea of your prowess! I loved you on skis!!!!! Come on over here - we have piles of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know you were good at so many sports. You are a real athlete.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, it looks like you also entered the shooting contest, with those birds at your feet. You just forgot to show us your gun. XOX Xena and Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bertie,
    you are simply the best. And you have the heart and bark of a champion.

    Huge love doggy god-son.
    xo
    Tootsie

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW Bertie, who knew you were so athletic! You are very impressive, and of course so handsome (though we will disregard the photo of you in a skirt! It looks better on Gail!)

    Kiki and Rosie

    ReplyDelete