Wednesday 3 April 2019

A case for doing things the old way...


Do you like my new friend Charlie the Westie?

I met him on Union Street in Aberdeen the other day. Gail had left me tied up to a drainpipe outside the bank, while she popped in to deposit a couple of cheques.

Charlie is 16 years old, and deaf and blind, but he is clearly a trooper and was enjoying his outing, tucked up in the comfort and safety of his buggy.

Charlie's owner offered me a treat and made a big fuss of me while I waited patiently for Gail, who was taking longer than usual.

Apparently the bank's cheque swallowing machine was suffering from indigestion, and the bank assistant had been trying to persuade Gail to install an app on her smart phone, which would mean she could pay in cheques by photographing them at home, and thus save herself the one mile walk into town.

Well I must say I am totally opposed in principle to any 'walk-saving' measures. Just think, if Gail had used the banking app, I would not have met Charlie, I would not have been given a yummy treat, and finally I would not have met Teddy and his owner, who came by a few moments later.

It's a good job that Union Street (Aberdeen's main shopping street) is not so busy these days, as we were forming quite a crowd.

12 comments:

  1. oh we send a big hug to your new friend, he is just fabulous!!! and we prefer the old way too... our adventure with da banking app ended not well and the mama used words what even surprised my dad...and he heard a lot of weird words during da years with her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Charlie
    What a lovely friendly chappie you met there Bertie
    And I totally agree, Gail needs to continue with her deposits so you can go walkies and score EXTRA TREATS while Gail is otherwise engaged, hehe
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Bertie what a darling little senior friend you made. Charlie is has a most wonderful owner and she has TREATS! It appears the bank is the place where all the great pups gather.
    Oh dear me all these phone apps are just too much for my senior brain.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you met another pup at the bank too. The bank teller should be more careful because if all the customers used the new apps they wouldn't have a job. How nice that Charlie's person had treats to give you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful new furiend, Bertie! Our Daddy works for a money pladce...and he does all our banking on his phone now...sheesh.
    xoxo,
    Rosy, Jakey & Arty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes...we vote for no app, though SHE does all banking on internet....hasn't been inside a bank for months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to meet Charlie, and make a new human friend too. We bet everyone was enamored with both you and Charlie.
    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  8. We agree with you Bertie that any walk preventing apps should not be installed. The community you would miss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charlie is inspiring! And we love his hundebuggy. (Mom says she needs one for me.)
    Wags,
    Tootsie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charlie looks like a nice chap! Mom agrees with no walk preventing. When she was still working they changed the reporting to email and she was unhappy. When she had to pass out reports she could get up from her desk and walk around
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Charlie is pawsome Bertie! And his buggy is pawsome too! I wonder if they come in Airedale size.......oh, sorry, lost my train of thought there.....wowsa! YOu guys sure did start a crowd! I wonders if you gots more treaties??? Maybe even a write up in the local papers?? If you see Charlie again, gives him a heeeeeey! from us, k?
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say that westie is super cute, but I think you are Beawoooooootiful! (I am a husky so I like to howl!)

    Kiki

    ReplyDelete