Monday 28 January 2019

The hundred metre exclusion zone

Bertie's 'exclusion zone'
Bertie near the boundary of the exclusion zone

Can you believe that I am sometimes criticised by my owner for "taking my house-training to the extreme"?

Well of course we all know that it is wrong to poo (or pee) inside one's home. Or other people's.

I think pee-ing in the garden is just about acceptable. And can in fact be helpful - plants might need watering (even in Aberdeen) and surely it's good to leave the occasional message warning off feline intruders.

But as for what some human's refer to as "number twos"... Well I hope you agree with me that operating an exclusion zone of 100 metre radius, centred on one's house, is appropriate and not at all unreasonable.

I understand that certain dogs rather let the side down and tolerate being turned out into the garden/yard to 'do their business' before bedtime.

Not me!

I insist on a proper walk.

And after all, a late evening stroll is good for one's human too,  don't you think?  Even if it means she has to lay down her book or turn off the telly, rouse herself from the warmth and comfort of the sofa, don the many layers of clothing required for even a short venture outdoors at this time of year and check her pockets for poo bags and a torch before accompanying me into the darkness.

Surely no owner who truly loved their dog could object to such a routine?


13 comments:

  1. I wonder that humans rather spend the time with a book to read the adventures of other people instead to go out with their beloved dogs to find their own adventures ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Bertie it’s cold outside...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Bertie!! OMDs do I agree and the appaws you are hearing from above is Angel Madi.
    It is a known feline fact that felines do not want their beverage/food truck anywhere near where their loo is located. Nope they don't mix the two. Madi's loo was upstairs way far away from her food truck.
    You have high standards and I say stick to them and it good for Gail to get in some extra steps.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    I understand your logic, Bertie lad... though I may admit to some sympawthee with Gail on this one... hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just have our back yard to use for these purposes but it is about an acre in size. As per usual we do tend to do our #2 business as far away from the house as we can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree! I have a dog door to run in and out of the backyard here, but I MUCH prefer to do my business on a walkie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all love a good walk, but at least one of us prefers the privacy of HER own yard:)

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree with you Bertie! A proper and rather long walk is needed in order for me to stay ummm..."regular"!
    Paw bumps,
    Arty

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I do my do in the yard, I do try to be around the outskirts. Poor Hazel has a hard time "containing" these days and sometimes barely makes it down the ramp before doing her do
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have a fenced in yard so mom can't turn me out on my own. She does take me out at 9pm and at 3am though, Bertie, but just for business - not for a lengthy walk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to have a nice walkie but since I'm blind, Mom doesn't let me go very far. In fact I have to go in a big sand box at the end of our outdoor patio. Mom's afraid the big birds will carry me off for their supper if I go into my own backyard. Oh well, better no walk than someone's supper. {sigh}

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bravo Bertie! I do have a lot of space in our yardie to do my business, butts I do prefer to do it on a walkie! Ma is happy that she doesn't have to take me out in the hood at 3am though...almost everyone has porch cameras, and that could be used to blackmail her someday (she looks pretty scary at 3 am...just sayin'...)
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! I agree, peeing in the garden surely helps it! I also think the same thing about pooping! Although our person disagrees. I do think it is good that you exercise your person before bed!

    ReplyDelete