Wednesday 30 January 2019

In defence of my Scottie cousins...


I suspect my Down Under Scottie friends Bella and Macdui might have something to say about the issues raised in today's blog post...


Does your human ever read books containing unsuitable material?

Mine apparently does.

As followers of Final Fiction Friday will already be aware, Gail is currently immersed in Jenny Landreth's  'Swell: A Waterbiography'; a must read, it seems, for all those who take pleasure in voluntary aquatic submersion (not me, obviously).

I'll be honest, as soon as I spotted a book about swimming resting on the bedside table, a feeling of unease pervaded my perfectly formed body.

The fact that the book's main subject was the history of women's swimming, and not, for example, a tome devoted to 'how to bathe your dog in icy rivers', did little to allay my fears.

And my worst suspicions were confirmed when I read (in a chapter about the battle for men and women to be allowed to use the same swimming pool at the same time) the following shocking sentence:

One of the most vocal opponents to mixed bathing was a Tonbridge councillor, Mr David Clark, who raved that 'by making girls look like wet Scotch terriers, mixed bathing stops more marriages than any other cause'.

How dare he? JUST HOW DARE HE!!!

To use a simile linking ANY breed of terrier to marital undesirability is beyond outrageous. I'm sure you'll agree.

And by the way, I for one can think of many human females who would be delighted to be considered as attractive as a Scottie, no matter the state of that Scottie's furs...

Oh and finally, here's a reminder of handsome WFT, today out enjoying the freshly fallen snow.

11 comments:

  1. that is a very dangerous book indeed...maybe we need a warning for protection not only kids but dogs too? We had a real snow storm yesterday but the snow was only there for a moment... we hate winter... that's no weather for two couch pawtatoes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    Deary me - irresponsible statements live on, do they not?! Stay warm Bertie lad - no snow here in Edinburgh, but a very heavy frost. hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come along Bertie...have you ever seen those things they called “bathing suits” in that era? It’s enough to frighten off a Chinese Crested Hairless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Bertie...OMCs I'm have been render speechless by Mr. Clark's sentence. My word above I personally would give up chocolate for an entire day just to have lovely terrier furs, wet or dry, and especially if they were the color of your WFT ears...what a lovely shade of creamy tan,,,,and you look very manly there sitting in the snow.
    Sincere hugs from your Southern pseudo Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's hope that thinking is all in the past. You are looking good Bertie. We hope you are enjoying your snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! I think that any human would be LUCKY to be compared to how beautiful us Dogs are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually that photo looks a lot like Dui. And SHE says SHE would NEVER entertain the thought of marriage to a man who didn't like wet scotties!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't even have words for the poor judgement of that poorly chosen analogy...
    xoxo,
    Arty, Jakey & Rosy
    PeeEss...for some reason Mama thinks this is FUNNY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those writers really need to do a better assessment of their similes before they go insulting our pals from Down Under.

    Enjoy that snow - all we have is COLD!!!

    To answer your question, Timber is the only one who reacts to that commercial, and he only does it for any of the Shriner's ones, no others. Very strange.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  10. We can't believe that anyone would say such a thing. Glad you enjoyed the video today. I learned weave poles a couple of different ways but what worked best for me was to offset the poles to make a channel I could pretty much run straight through and a covered treat bowl or a jump right after to encourage me to focus forward. Mom slowly moved the poles in until they were straight.

    hugs
    Mabel
    Hazel too

    ReplyDelete