Tuesday 9 February 2016

They do things differently in Edinburgh...

It is possible that life in our capital city Edinburgh is not all that it's cracked up to be.

Initially I was quite envious of Labradoodle Lily, who belongs to one of Gail's book group friends, when I heard that she and her family are moving away from Aberdeen and going to live in a nice flat in Edinburgh New Town (that's 'new' as in only about 200 years old).

I looked on the map and saw that there is a lovely park, Queen Street Gardens, right by the flat. I even found a photo on the internet.

Won't that be a splendid place for Lily to run around in, I said to Gail.

But Gail responded that life for Lily in Edinburgh would not be so simple. First of all, access to the gardens is only open to a restricted number of local property owners, and there is a waiting list. Worse, there is a SEPARATE WAITING LIST FOR DOGS.

Gail went on to say that Lily would probably have to pass an exam before gaining a key to the park, demonstrating her knowledge of acceptable social behaviour in the Edinburgh canine context, and may be blackballed by 'The Committee' anyway on account of being a non-traditional breed (the horror!) who does not attend the right doggie creche or high end grooming parlour...

OK, I think Gail was kidding me about the exam business etc, possibly having read one too many of Alexander McCall Smith's 'Scotland Street' novels.

But I have decided anyway I am quite content with life in Aberdeen.

21 comments:

  1. This has made me laugh so much! Don't worry Lily you can always walk along the Water of Leith where dogs don't have to mind their Ps & Qs so much! By the way Gail and Bertie, are you about over Easter? We are coming to balmoral again this time for Easter week. Hope it's not washed away! Would be ace to meet up for a walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey Bertie .... Who'd wanna live there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A WAITING list fur dogs to go walkies????
    What, are we suppose to keep our paws crossed while peeps decide when we can go potty???
    They must be crazy peeps in Edinburgh
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    As an Edinburger, I can say, Bertie lad, that Gail is probably not exaggerating. AMcS has a pretty good handle on the runnings of that wee city and all I can say is, best wishes to Lily! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. a waitiing list for a park? wow! probably Edinburgh never heard about the walk in the park song of that Nick Straker Band :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! The Muzzer has always liked Edinburgh very much, but it does not sound very nice to me.

    Gus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that is just so not right - a park should be for everyone and every doggie !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life in the big city is never as good as what it is said to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A waiting list for a park?? OMD, how strange! I'll stick with my wide open Texas spaces!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would study for the exam just in case
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a fan of Alexander McCall Smith's Scotland series, I have many delightful imagesi n my mind about your Edinburgh. I did question him once though when there was some concern as to what may have happened to a basketfukl of puppies. I wrote him, but he never responded.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those kind of rules lead to no good! Yes, stay where you are!

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  13. BOL!! We really got a giggle out of this Bertie and think it may be best to stay in Aberdeen!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bertie for sure the grass might be greener in Edinburgh but the welcome mat seems a bit stiff and well...yep Stay in Aberdeen where you are loved and respected. OMCs just because the lovely Lily is a Labradoodle she could be shunned. Well I know the Mayors were stunned to hear this. It is fur sure Edinburgh's loss not to let Lily visit the park
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a complicated park. Lady loves McCall Smith!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A waiting list for dogs??? Oh yes, you are better staying put right where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bertie I meant to tell you yesterday I like your new Bouncing Bertie romp photo header.
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bertie - I'm afraid it's a romp in Princes Street Gardens or The Mound for Lilly.

    ReplyDelete