Monday 29 February 2016

Mingling with Royalty


So I ran into next door neighbour Ruby in the park a couple of nights ago and after we exchanged bottom sniffs she asked me what I'd been up to lately.

Do you have friends who ask such questions purely, you later realise, in the hope that you will ask the same question in return?

Well I was telling Ruby all about my recent adventures on the Nottingham public transport system, but I noticed her eyes glazing over and so, being a well brought up pup, I enquired politely, and what about you Ruby?

Ruby brightened up considerably.

"Oh gosh Bertie I had such an amazing experience when I went away to Killin in Perthshire last weekend with my owners Paul and Jan. Can you imagine, we were in the hotel bar and who should walk in but Prince William and a bunch of his friends! And Prince William patted me on the head and one of his friends asked "does it hunt?" So Paul explained that I was a Briard, a French dog bred for herding and guarding sheep, and not in any way a hunter. Then later in the evening, when Paul and I were outside enjoying the peace and quiet of the Highland night, who should come over and join us but Prince William himself. And he spoke to me, just me not Paul, for quite a while, in French! Of course, I shall be keeping our conversation confidential…… And Bertie it is not at all respectful of you to ask how many beers my new best friend Prince William had been drinking and to suggest he was envious of my luxuriant furs. Do you want to be locked in the Tower?"

Ruby edged away from me, nose in the air.

I fear she is getting ideas above her station.

16 comments:

  1. Asking for your opinion is often a foot in the door for the asker to expound their opinion, as well. How exciting to be the dog who knows the dog who met the Prince. You can look down your nose, too. BOL! Our uncle had a Briard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought I wuz speshul since I'd been petted by a senator, a Supreme Court justice, NFL players, and an actor. Dat's no future king of England. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. to get petted by Prince William is like the knightly accolade somehow... Ruby is Lady Ruby now :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari om
    My word Bertie lad, pawhaps that is a prompt for you and Gail to make a visit - you could make a Killin from the royalties... hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bertie,
    OH MY PRANCING PRINCES! RUBY MET THE ADORABLE PRINCE WILL AND HAD A LONG CONVERSATION TOO. IF THAT HAD BEEN ME I WOULD NEVER EVER GROOM THE TOP OF MY HEAD EVER AGAIN IF I HAD REC'D A ROYAL PET ON THE NOGGIN. PRINCE WILL IS A PEOPLE'S PRINCE FOR SURE AND SO DOWN TO EARTH
    WE LOVE THIS STORY.
    HUGS MADI YOUR BFFF

    ReplyDelete
  6. No way and mom didn't sneak pictures
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I heard they were there to taste the whiskies at the Glenturret distillery.
      How come you didn't pop over and have a visit with the Prince. Why you are a much better standard of your breed and one would not have to inquire as to your nobility.
      Thanks for being a friend
      Sweet William The Scot

      Delete
  8. Oh wow Royalty thats amazing!

    retro rover

    ReplyDelete
  9. It doesn't take much to make royalty go to ones head :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting for her to meet Prince William! She can be forgiven for being a bit overwhelmed for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMD! OMD! You are only 1 degree away from a pat from the Prince himself!!!

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's very exciting. Maybe after a few more visits with Ruby she will answer your questions - inquiring dog minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmmmmm, maybe she could get you an introduction Bertie, don't burn any bridges just yet... ;-).
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unfortunately we don't have many friends around, so this has never happened. We suggest playing nice.

    ReplyDelete