Monday 1 February 2016

Scary seals and terrier tails



By Sunday morning, our latest winter storm had passed by. Gail took me for long walk around Forvie Sands Nature Reserve, having judged correctly that the high winds had finally eased enough and I was no longer in danger of getting sand blown in my eyes (which is very uncomfortable).


The Ythan estuary is popular with birdwatchers, an 'activity' that personally I find rather boring. I can see the point of eider ducks, given their association with comfy bedding, but oystercatchers? I mean, am I supposed to be impressed? How hard can it be to catch an oyster?
Eider ducks 
Oystercatchers and wigeon
When we reached the point where the estuary meets the sea, Gail clamped on my lead.

You would not believe how many big fat smelly seals were noisily mooching around on the sand bank.



Frankly, I found them most unsettling. As you can tell from the set of my tail...

… which did not resume its normal jaunty angle until we had reached the safety of the cliff path, a mile or so beyond those scary monsters.


PS from Gail: I have never before seen Bertie's tail stay so firmly obeying the laws of gravity for more than a minute or two. The seals, which on past visits he has taken in his stride, really did seem to unnerve him this time.

19 comments:

  1. I's never seen seals before, but momma says she wuz bumped by a sea lion when she wuz bodysurfin in Santa Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bird chasing...yes. Watching?...no. We think those seals looked menacing, too. We're not sure our tails would be up either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hear seals can be quite aggressive - maybe he sensed something. I was certainly a pawsome place to walk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bertie
    OMCs/OMDs...I had no idea your WFT tail could even go in the down position much less stay that way. I bet there was a most 'interesting' smell coming from all that blubber too.
    Mom says she would really love to know exactly what pets see from our eyes. Maybe it looked like a gigantic black blob.
    Hugs madi your bfff
    PS great photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never saw them for real.... and you must be very brave to meet them in the furs... well ok, you are a terrier of course :o)
    I would run when I would hear that scary noises they make :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    Hmmmmmm; well Bertie lad, as I see no evidence of pups among that group of Greys, suspicion is that it's a gang of young males; and they are having a good look at you too! Females would still have their littlies with them, from whelping two months back. Given there is a (distant) family connection twixt them and thee, could be you just got the message that you weren't invited into that gang's plottings of the next herring raid!!! Well done for acknowledging their signals... wouldn't want to read about the great seal clubbing of an Aberdeen WFT. Jus' sayin'. Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    pee ess; you and Miss Gail (and others) might like this site as a matter of interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for interesting info and the link.

      Delete
  7. OMD OMD Bertie we want a Whiff by Whiff Description of what they smelled like! WE have never even THOUGHT about SEAL Scent.. is it not somethingy worthy or Rolling in? OMD this is very much INTERESTING... Sorry that they scared and disturbed you on YOUR WALKIE... BUTT PLEASE we want a Description of the Scent...

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMD...We would probably have been a mit disturbed too!! Arty and Dory have seen those sea-doggies bobbing in the waves, but not on the sand!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty and Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a neat place to visit. But SEALS?? Those guys looked weird!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those seals do look kinda scary
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, hazel & mabel

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is better the National Geographic
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well you were wise to be cautious of those seals. Were they Navy Seals?

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can understand why you were a bit unsettled by the seals. By the way, these pictures are absolutely beautiful - especially love the first few.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The peeps used to see seals on Kinshaldy Beach when they lived in Scotland but I haf nefer seen a seal in the furs. They look a bit BIG to me Bertie, you were wise to steer clear of thems I finks
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like a nice walk. I do not like seals either. They honk like cars!

    your friend
    Gussie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bertie- We have never seen a seal, just sea lions. But, we agree they are noisy and scary! Sure like your picture in the ribbons of sand.
    ♥Wyatt and Tegan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poor you Bertie! I am glad I have never seen one of those now!

    ReplyDelete