Sunday 26 October 2014

Unintended outcomes

Have you ever had a bloggie pal come to visit in the flesh?

So exciting isn't it?

I mean, with Gail's 'normal' friends, I can accept that they might be interested in me, or they might not.

But it is a given, surely, that where the point of contact is my blog, then I will be the main focus of attention throughout their stay?

This weekend started so well. My 'Aunty Yam' came up on the train from Dunoon and was all keen to visit Duthie Park so off we went. What a warm, friendly, cheerful person she is.


I was having such fun I even didn't mind that I was being photographed from in front and behind simultaneously.

We all had a good smile at a new sign by the park entrance.

Back home the conversation was initially proceeding in a satisfactory manner with much emphasis on me and my blog, as is only right and proper. OK so this was interspersed with stories about Aunty Yam's experiences in Australia and India (quite interesting, actually), and talk about family and work and all the usual human stuff one has come to expect. I guess that was OK too.

It was only after Gail took Aunty Yam down to the harbour to look at the ships and I was asked to stay at home that things took a turn for the worse.

When they returned, there was much poring over the laptop.

Of course I assumed that they would be looking at my blog or, if not that, then at least something else related to dogs.

Imagine my horror when I saw that the source of fascination was a website called www.marinetraffic.com!


 And all I was hearing was Gail going "wow what a great website, Yam, thank you so much for showing me that, how interesting to be able to find out about the ships visiting Aberdeen, and where they're going and what they do….."

They were looking at it for ages. Simply ages.

Well HELLO. Bertie here! The dog with the blog. The reason you met….

OK, to be fair,  Gail and Aunty Yam did eventually refocus their attention on yours truly.

And so on balance, I am going to advise Gail that, should an invitation ever be issued, I am happy to allow her to visit Dunoon under the following conditions:
 (1) I too can accompany her at all times
 (2) Only WFT-relevant material will be viewed on the computer for the duration….

20 comments:

  1. Bertie what a great visit from your well traveled Auntie Yam. I 100% agree should Gail be allowed to travel it is only if you are with her and 200% attention is focused on you...as it should be.
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have an Aunty Yam ?
    And she visited you !?!
    Oh how very exciting Bertie !!!
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee WE knew that Aunty Yam was coming fur a visit... we are SO very much excited fur YOU and Miss Gail and Aunty Yam. WHAT fun... except fur when it Wasn't, of course. Isn't meeting a blogger the BESTEST thingy in the WORLD... Last year we got to meet Amber and Max and Autumn and their mom and dad... and then last November we got to meet Bella and ROXY and Dui's mom...
    OMD we are SO thrilled fur all of you.... What a super thingy... You met her IN THE FURS....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bertie, you should know how easily distracted humans can be. Cannot believe they took their eyes off you! We think there may be counseling available for that behaviour.

    Bertie vs marine traffic.....you'd think that wouldn't even arise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheesh I cant understand why you wouldn't be the sole focus either. I mean your cuteness vs marine traffic we agree with Bella Roxy and Macdui there is no competition there none at all
    retro rover

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    Oh darling Bertie, I am so glad to have been able to not just see you but touch you too!!! You have my apologies for distracting Gail so much and slowing you down in your usual activities, but I have to say you are an absolute gentleman and thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing Gail with me!!! (When you come to Dunoon we shall have to make sure that only picnics happen, so that you never have to be left alone...) Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so lucky - we have never met any blog buddies - it is mom's big dream that one day we can go and visit some

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dose sound like some good rules.

    I gotta meet some Dogster pals one time at a pooch parade - it wuz fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crikey Bertie ... Aunty came to visit with you! OMD ... How lucky are you? I just know she's the funnest person in the whole world. If she visited with me and took Mum somewhere and then sat at the computer for 87 hours I'd be Devo! I'm going to talk to her on your behalf. Sometimes humans are weird, aye? How could they possibly not take you EVERYWHERE with them. I still think aunty's pretty special. Maybe she was just having a bad day, aye?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you go to meet Aunty Yam and I am glad they wised up and began to pay attention to your blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lucky dog you are Bertie. It must have been such a fun day showing your blog friend all your favorite sites!! Lucky dog for sure!!
    Willow and mom Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I simply cannot understand how they took their eyes off you for a single second .... and didn't talk to you or about you for the WHOLE time!!!

    Don't they know that we DAWGS are the CENTRE of every UNIVERSE!!!

    Tail Wuggles, Rubie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. How very much fun for the three of you! I think I'd like to check out the Shipping News website. because I like boat rides, even though ocean goers are far from me.
    Your pal,
    Stella and sometimes Zkhat

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a nice meet and greet with your bloggy friend Bertie and cool web site. Have a marvellous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love it when Blog Friends come to visit. There does seem to be an attention span deficit, almost always the conversations shift to topics other than terriers. However, we always take up the majority of time!

    It is our right and due

    Gus n Teka

    ReplyDelete
  16. how great that you met a friend in the furs! and such an interesting friend! I never was in India, I bet it was great to hear more about her adventures in Oz and in India!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so lucky to have met her in the furs. We bet she is a very interesting person to talk to but surely she came to see YOU!?!?!?

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  18. Meetin' up with blogger furiends shore sounds like fun-- we met up wiff some of our pup pal furiends fur da Fiesta Pooch Pawrade in San Antonio one year... Dey lines da streets in dog treats... literally, dey duz!! It were terrierific! Momma sez to tell ya if she got to meet ya, she wouldn't be lookin' at no boats or computers wiff a cutiepie pup like you around!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it's only right that the attention should've been focused on YOU, but you know... they're only human. My momma wants to know if you'll be checking out this zombie event. It sounds very exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this! I have met a blog buddy in Vancouver (west coast of Canada) and traveled from Ottawa, for my son's wedding. This is much fun!

    ReplyDelete