Wednesday 30 October 2013

Godparent decision (involving an element of emotional blackmail)

Oh my gosh I had NO IDEA that I had so many lovely friends out there who would volunteer to be my godparent.

So first I want to thank all of you who took the time to apply for the post. Gail and I feel quite overwhelmed. I mean some of you wrote whole essays.

But what a problem this created. How on earth was I to choose?

Now I have to tell you, I was all for accepting each and every one of the applicants, they all sounded so wonderful. I mean, if wee Prince George can have seven godparents, then fifteen or so is surely not too many for a bouncy wire-haired fox terrier?

But Gail said no, that would be greedy. She also vetoed my suggestion that word count should be the deciding factor in the application (sorry Aunty Yam), and likewise number or variety of treats promised.

Well we were getting nowhere, so I suggested a walk, the best way to clear one's head when difficult decisions are to be made.







As we sauntered along by the River Dee, casting the occasional anxious glance at the clouds gathering to the west, Gail was bending my ear (although it is flappy enough already).

"Bertie, I've been thinking carefully about this doggodparent business. I know you have several lovely American friends who applied for the post, but realistically, I don't think I'll be taking you on a transatlantic flight any time soon. As much as I would love to have an excuse to visit Colorado, or Virginia, or Oklahoma, or North Carolina, or Massachusetts, Minnesota, or Illinois, or Florida, I think it would be better to select someone on this side of the Pond. Don't you agree?"

I could tell she had more to say.

"Now Bertie I'm going to be serious for a minute. You know that my Swiss godmother Doris died back in the summer? Well she had reached the age of ninety and had been very ill, so it wasn't unexpected but I was sad all the same. You see, Doris was all that one could ever hope for in a godmother and much more. I'll never forget when I went to visit her at a bad time in my life and she made me feel loved and valued again. To me, the words 'Swiss' and 'godmother' go together like, well, like 'Bertie' and 'bouncing'. So, wouldn't it be nice for you too to have godparents who lived in Switzerland? And I do think that your (bi)continental dachshund friend Tootsie put forward a particularly compelling case in her application, don't you? And did you see the photos of the Alpine hike she described earlier this week? Awesome, wasn't it? Oh yes, I'm sure Tootsie could be such a good influence in your life. She is known as a savvy sausage after all.  So can we invite her and her Mom and Dachshund Daddy  to be your godparents? Please Bertie. Please. I'm sure we can overlook those moths in DD's wallet..."

And then Gail tried to put on a pleading expression, looked into my eyes and even, if I am not mistaken, tilted her head to one side for extra effect.

Well how could I say no?

Oh I do hope Tootsie and her family will accept.

24 comments:

  1. Bertie,
    Anything that makes Gail happy sounds like a wise choice to us!
    Woofs,
    Riley and Enzo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very good choice..not to mention the Swiss make the best chocolate in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bertie, this is so wotten waven! Thank you so much for picking me as your doggy godmother! And thank you, Gail, for being my advocate!

    I'm going to celebrate by wagging all day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tootsie is now the luckiest dogige ever she is a great choice

    urban hounds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    (ppssstttt Bertie; liver cakes are still in the offing...)

    No apologies required dear boy, the rationale put forward by your serv-errrr- guardian is perfectly sound and I admit when I read Tootsie's app, I too was impressed!

    Besides, how could anyone resist that Wordless Wednesday post??? &*>

    Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the pawsome Tootsie. Brill choice Bertie. Tootsie surely will say yes. Have a wonderful Wednesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are bereft! Disqualified for the little matter of the Atlantic Ocean.

    But we understand. And we commend Gail on her choice. And if you ever do want a set of Merry Can goddogparents, we would like to keep our application current.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very wise choice Bertie, that trip over here would be quite involved, beside, we got nothing here like the River Dee to stroll along, betcha Tootsie will make an excellent godparent!

    The Mad Scots
    Pees; We will still keep our eye out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. THIS is grrrreat. Tootsie will be PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hrmph, that's nothing more than rampant locationism! But I suppose if Momma can't be your godmother, Tootsie is an excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like it was such a hard decision. We hope Tootsie will do it, she will be a wonderful choice! Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think (bi)continental dachshund friend Tootsie is a very smart choice.
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a super choice Bertie, you two will go together like the words "Bouncing" and "Bertie"! Tootsie sounds like a super dog, she really will set you a good example. Those pictures were beautiful from your Deeside walk!
    Pippa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S Yes you will get to hear about the weekend jaunt, but maybe a weekend late! I had a sick-free, whimpering-free car trip to castle fraser and haddo. The story should be up on Saturday/Sunday!

      Delete
  14. Bertie you are very very lucky Gail is such a deep and thorough thinker. She is certainly right about having a godfamily near by. Tootsie and her family will be most honored. And good buddy never fear I'll always be your
    BFFF Hugs
    Madi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bertie who ever you select will be the right choice, (forgot California)
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hot diggity dog! We're happy for you, Bertie. Gail did well ... with your approval, of course. Tootsie and her family sound perfect. We're already looking forward to recounts of Alpine hikes and Swiss cheese! (Are you going to teach her how to bounce?)

    xxJ&Fxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well...I still think that you and me could have lots of fun together but I guess you have to trust Gail!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww, Gail made a great choice! We are sorry we missed it because we would have had to apply for sure! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gosh Bertie we have missed all the goings on recently and are most impressed you now have "dogparents." Wow.
    Extra pressies at Christmas and barkdays perhaps?

    Molly, Taffy, Monty and Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you have made a very wise choice! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so proud to have a godson like you, Bertie! I would also like to thank all the wotten waven readers who left such sweet comments. I said I'd be wagging all day, but I've been wagging all week.

    I'm glad you like my Halloweener costume!

    Wags,
    Your sausage godmother

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think you and Gail made a wise decision Bertie...Tootsie and her family will make great godparents...And if you ever do make it to Florida Gizmo & i will stand in as temps if needed

    ReplyDelete