Tuesday 21 November 2017

A gravy bone from Postman Pat!

Bertie in Glen Muick, midday on 18 November 2017
You might be looking at the picture above and thinking, gosh you are a lucky chap Bertie, living in such a beautiful part of the world with a human who loves to go exploring.

I guess you would be right, but sometimes the best part of an outing is not captured on camera.

So there I was last weekend, trotting along the tranquil farm track on the western side of Glen Muick, when a Royal Mail van - the first vehicle we'd seen - came bowling along.

I don't know about you, but generally I like to walk in the middle of a road if given the chance, and believe it is the responsibility of others to avoid running me down. 

So I ignored Gail's shouts and forced the postman to stop. He wound down his window as Gail, having put me on a lead and dragged me to the side, was babbling apologetically: 

"I'm so sorry, thank you for stopping, my dog has absolutely no road sense...."

The postman had a nice round ruddy face and a wide smile. He ignored Gail, looked down at me and said fondly "ach, you're an affa bonny pup, maybe you'd like a treat?"

And lo an behold he dug into his pocket and produced a gravy bone and offered it to me whole! (Gail normally breaks them in two, or on a bad day three).

This agreeable episode has confirmed my belief that is is always best to stick to the middle of a track, although Gail disputes this conclusion...


After the walk we stopped in the nearby town of Ballater, where a rustic nativity scene was being erected on the green by the church. 

Gail was amused to see that the workman setting up the floodlighting had used the praying hands of one of the Three Kings as a coat hook. 

16 comments:

  1. We always try to go down the middle of the road, but we're usually on leads AND we've never had anyone stop to give us a treat! Of course, we bark at our postman. His motorbike squeaks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow you have a super nice postman! I have only the grumpy post(wo)man who says: ooooh not YOU again...but at least she gives me the mail and the parcels...but a chewing bone would be better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice postie. A real Scotsman. It reminds me of my pop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I don't think we'd get dat kinda treatment from da USPS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We must remember to bark less at the postman if he may have treats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I was thinking exactly "you are lucky to live in such a beautiful place" and yes I do agree that a dog should be free to walk in the middle of the street. Though I have been known to bark at our postman and am now thinking I should reassess that approach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a lucky dog! First you are lucky that the postman did not honk, or run you down. The bone was a bonus. (HaHa)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hari OM
    Golly Bertie, you lucked out on that one; but I totally understand Gail's concern. Pawhaps you could agree to middle-road most of the time, but actually hear her when the risk to life and paw presents itself?! Not all da peeps on wheels are as pleasant as Postie!

    I had to read again; I thought it was a 'rusty' nativity, and probably as a result of being flooded - not by light, but water, last year!!! Silly aunty... hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx (Who has been reminded that there is such a thing as sunshine. Somewhere.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well sheesh, what other conclusion are you supposed to draw? Treats = you did the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMD...you got a treat from the postman??? We aren't even sure if our postmen would stop!!
    xoxo,
    Jaky, Arty & Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you made a good decision and received a proper reward!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy and Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMD Bertie ~ you are one lucky puppers! I don't knows if I have ever gotten a random treatie from any peep! Wells, the vettie gives me treaties, butts that is after some 'not nice' things they do to me. I consider that more of a payment.
    Anyhu, I thinks you're right, and I am gonna tell Ma we needs to walk in the middle of the road from now on! ☺
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHMCats!!!!! Bertie what a wonderful story full of YOU, beautiful scenery, lovely sun and topped off with a most friendly post man!! WooHoo Yep I'd stick to the middle of the road too.
    Never hurts to be a middle man.
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Bertie,

    That's not bad road sense at all! I would say that's very good sense, flagging down the chap with the gravy bones in his pocket! Well done!

    Licks,
    Cobi

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's good to be handsome Bertie. May the gravy bones always fall in your direction! ♥

    ReplyDelete