Monday 5 April 2021

Pandemic pals


Today I want to tell you a bit about my friends M and J. (They are Gail's friends too, but this is my blog!)
You see me here patiently waiting for them on a walk last week, after M had stopped to take the photo below.

As you will have noticed, it was another rather dreary day in Scotland. (Oh how I wish last Thursday's post was not an April Fool joke - today we have snow again...) But although my friends are good bit older than Gail, they are not ones to be deterred by adverse weather. They also have more energy than most folk half their ages, and Gail tells me that in normal times M and J lead active and stimulating lives - enjoying visiting their daughter and grandsons in the Netherlands and other family and friends in Germany, going for sightseeing holidays in Italy and elsewhere, attending concerts, plays and exhibitions, improving foreign  language  skills etc. etc.  

With travel and so many other human activities on hold, have M and J sat indoors sulking? Far from it! They have been out and about exploring the nearby countryside, walking for a couple of hours or more, just about every morning of the pandemic. And to my great delight, roughly once a week (when Covid rules permit) Gail and I have joined them.

What fun these outings have been for a still lively wire fox terrier! And Gail and I wonder how many other humans at M's stage in life have become fitter and more adept at negotiating paths that are sometimes steep, rough, muddy, icy etc. over the past year?

I love it that we have investigated so many new footpaths and byways together, and I also love it when the humans sit down on a rock or log for 'elevenses', take out their flasks of coffee and snacks and, of course, a treat for me to chew on while they relax for a few minutes and set the world to rights.

Oh I do hope M and J will still find time for these walks when they are able to resume their busy lives. 

17 comments:

  1. oh we are so glad that M and J still find adventures and that they do the things we love... but nevertheless we want our normal back... after we lost it we know how precious it was, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that M and J will still find time for walking with you and Gail, Bertie! You are part of their routine now, and it will just make their lives that bit busier, but they won't mind that!
    My human and I wish we had all the lovely walks that you have nearby.

    Love
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. dreary or not, it is a lovely place to walk and meet up with friends.. I hope sometime to find an old lady like myself that needs a walking partner. adventures are more fun with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari Om
    Oh I am sure, Bertie lad, that M&J will find time to continue your wonderfurs outings! M sounds a bit like my mother - who was something of a 'battery bunny' until her last couple of years. There was just no stopping the woman! I can definitely put my hand up for NOT having gotten fitter this past year... &*< hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning Bertie and Gail and WTG M&J....here at Manor of Angel Madi we believe age is a state of mind...and our minds feel rather frisky. One thing for certain over the last year we are rediscovered all the beautiful trail treks around our city. And we are very thankful we were able to find a silver lining in all the chaos.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to have friends to go on hikes with. We bet M & J will keep you and Gail in their rotation of guests to hike with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We sure hope that M and J will be walking with you and Gail, Bertie, now that the nicer weather is here and restrictions get lifted more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say, Bertie, walking buddies are the very best of friends. Sadly, here in SE USA, I am bereft if such companions...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like your friends are making the best out of this unusual situation. We all need to find ways to do more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Walking is about all we can do these days, how wonderful to have good friends to walk with!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi friend! Ojo here! Stopping for snacks on Walks is the best! My people don't do it often enough which is why I need to find my own snack, things like discarded apple cores and dead critters. Snacks are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pee Ess Your friends sound pretty awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WoW! Terrific furrends! We walk with furrends sometimes. Ad it is a ton of fun. We are glad you are enjoying yours! We hope you have a marvellously happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been a year and more of learning to do things in a new way in order to keep life interesting. We keep Mom walking although we don't think she would do very well on steep and rocky paths:) It is nice that you and Gail have such good friends.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet that they will still be very eager to hike with you and Gail. They sound like wonderful people. I am not surprised that you love them so, Bertie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Humans are more adventurous than a male cat seeking out a female in heat. The most beautiful places always have the worst weather.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We're glad to hear that you and your friends are getting some exercise while out walking in your beautiful area. Now that our weather is trying to warm up, we're going to try to get out for more walkies. Have fun Bertie!

    ReplyDelete