Wednesday 20 May 2020

Pipped at the post



I've been so missing our trips over to the Torridon cottage, which I understand is off-limits just now, due to it not being our 'primary residence'.

So I asked Gail when she thinks these coronavirus restrictions might be lifted. She sighed and said:

"I don't know Bertie, I guess we just need to be patient and remember we're lucky to have such a beautiful, peaceful retreat, however long we have to wait to go there again."

I wondered perhaps if I might write a poem to express the yearning to escape from the city to a haven of water-side tranquillity, but Gail pointed out that I'd been pipped at the post by Irish poet William Butler Yeats. Here's the last verse of his 'The Lake of Innisfree' (1888).

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds on the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, and on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

I guess Mr Yeats put it even better than I could have.
(photo taken last year) 

14 comments:

  1. we hear you... and we are glad that we can now drive to some good places... but not to all, so many parks and the beach are still closed... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari om
    Well, Bertie lad, you certainly don't want to risk incurring a talking to by the local constabulary, as was the case for one Mr N Gaiman! Word pictures and memories will have to sustain you for now. Hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can only imagine what sort of a row with his wife prompted Mr Gaiman to flee all the way from NZ to Skye in order to "have some space". At least Bertie and I co-exist very happily together here in Aberdeen. Cheers! Gail.

      Delete
  3. Patience will pay off, Bertie. Love that last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhhhhhhhh Bertie we most all be very thankful for our mind's eye taking lovely photos for us to recall days of yesteryear B.V.
    Hopes and wishes you and Gail can return to
    your cottage very soon.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. We sure hope you get to go to your cottage soon. That is a lovely poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes....it sure is a lovely beautiful place my furiend. Just thinks how FABulous it will be when you finally gets to visit.
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeats did capture the mood beautifully. Hopefully, you'll be back in Torridon soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Yeats was very good with his words. Things are getting a bit better here, but VERY slowly. And Mom says that's OK with her.

    Woos, Lightning and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lovely poem It sounds like you heart singing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We hope you can get there soon. It is hard with restrictions but we all must make sacrifices to keep everyone safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We feel the same way... yearning for our usually long and frequent trips in our camper van. I really hope that you can go to your peaceful cottage soon. And I adore that photo of you in front of the water, Bertie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We sure hope they come up with a vaccine real soon so we can get back to traveling!!
    xoxo,
    Rosy, Jakey & Arty(and Mama and Daddy)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are trying to be patient here, but it is hard not to be able to go to our favorite places...and especially the fenced dog park so we can run around like crazy dogs!

    Kiki and Rosie

    Kiki and Rosie

    ReplyDelete