Monday 4 May 2020

"A Proper Dog"



So there I was, trotting along a path in the woods the other day, when a lady coming the other way spotted me and exclaimed emphatically, and with apparent delight:

"Oh look! A proper dog!"

Later that evening, as I was pondering on what, exactly, she meant, the poetic muse struck...

The Proper Dog

A "proper dog" is what she said.
Implying I'm a normal chap,
And not some fancy, over-bred
Type, only fit for ladies' laps?

Was she admiring of my form,
My profile square yet neat?
In looks, do I perhaps conform
To Earth's canine elite?

Did she mean proper as in prim?
No surely, that can't be!
My wayward furcut's scarcely trim,
My manner's far too free.

Or was her emphasis on dog,
As in a proper, intact male?
Not so. I never saw her look
At this particular detail...

Maybe, like Gail, she as a child
Possessed a terrier on wheels,
And ever after, all the while
Held dogs like me as the ideal.

We'll never know, she passed on by,
Without conversing any more.
I like to think that in her eyes,
I just was perfect to the core!


15 comments:

  1. you are perfect in our eyes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we lobe that poem and it fits!!!! the mama had this foxterrier on wheels too... and that was the reason that her furst pup, bought with her own money was a whft... but with the real foxterrier in the house the wheeled one ended in pieces LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    appaws appaws... wonderful poem, Bertie lad - and neatly formed as you are, I am certain she was admiring you in the wholeness of your being! Hugsa nd wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am clapping and squealing and smiling...Bertie
    give Gail a proper treat for this delightful poem. WOW. I'm sure she is right for only a proper dog could inspire such words.
    This line:
    "My manner's far too free."
    and the last two
    "I like to think that in her eyes,
    I just was perfect to the core!"
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are certainly a pup worthy of such praise Bertie. We love your poem too and think it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a handsome boy, Bertie, and with that smile and probably not jumping on the lady, she was very pleased. Love your poem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are definitely thinking she meant you were just pawfect in every way!!
    xoxo,
    Rosy, Jakey & Arty

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't know what a proper dog is either, Bertie, but we think you are perfect and proper just the way you are.

    Woos - Lightning and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMD, that was the BESTEST poem I have read in ages my furiend! and yes, I thinks you hit the nail on the head! a REAL dog, as Ma would say ☺
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a fabulous poem Bertie, and could only have been written about you 'cos you are a very proper dog!
    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, Bertie, you are so talented. I appreciate it when people recognize a "proper dog"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whatever she meant, it was clearly a complement.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are perfect to the core! And you look fabulous with those yellow flowers - maybe that was what she noticed? Yes, perfect, Bertie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Properly handsome, of course!You are good looking!

    Kiki and Rosie

    ReplyDelete