Monday 17 February 2020

An age old debate


On the eve of my tenth birthday, I have been arguing with my owner about which of us is now oldest.

Those of you who read my post from 25 November 2018 will be able to calculate Gail's current age. Others will have deduced it from the picture above and the fact that she possesses a slide rule...

The question is - how old is Gail in dog years? (By the way, I can never understand why it is usual for dog years to be converted to human years - surely doing it the other way round shows a proper sense of priority...)

So according to conventional wisdom, 1 dog year = 7 human years, which by my calculations and in appropriately dog-centric terms, puts Gail at a relatively youthful eight and three quarters.

However, for smaller dogs, a ratio of 1:6 is often used, and by this measure Gail would be more than ten years old, so a wee bit older than me.

To confuse matters further, one sees charts like the one below, which are all very well, but slightly tricky if, like me, you weigh between 9 and 10 kg, thus right on the boundary between small and medium size.
Finally, you may have seen it reported last year that a team from the University of California, San Diego, conducted a highly scientific study based on DNA methylation etc. and came up with the following formula*:

Human age = [ln(dog age in years)x16] + 31

But as this research was conducted using exclusively Labradors, I think we can ignore the results for now, more especially as they suggest once again that I am the oldster round here...

Fellow pups, do tell me, are you still the baby of the household or do you claim senior citizen status?


*The mathematically inclined among you will already have worked out that according to this formula, at a nanosecond after birth the dog will be age minus six! 

13 comments:

  1. we are still da babies... and they treat us like that... although da phenny finished oxford last year and it as wise as da trashheap of da fraggles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still the "baby" here, Bertie. My owner is a wee bit older than me - well, she is a pensioner, so can claim Senior Citizen Status! But don't tell her I said so - she hates to admit it!
    She always says you're as young as you feel, and just 'cos the outside is looking like an antique, the inside is still a teenager! Some days I feel like that too!

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOL BOL BOL Bertie I do so enjoy it when you put on your Professorial cap with such great Boffin
    Bonuses as this. Ohhh things happen the best once your reach double digits...I bet you might even get special privileges at Pubs too.
    As for Gail..well I'll say she is just a baby and no matter your ages you both are 2 fine looking examples of your species.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm middle age and mom is over the hill☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosy is the baby...then Arty(until May)..then the parents...and Jakey is the oldest!

    Thanks for the very interesting study Bertie!!
    xoxo,
    Rosy, Jakey & Arty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello and Happy Birthday, Bertie! You are a young 67.8 in human years. Based on the Lab study, dogs spend much more time in middle age than we had imagined. The US Census lists the category middle age from 45 to 65 (pls forgive the US part...I can't quickly locate the Scottish equivalent), applying a similar concept to Gail, we can conclude she is middle-aged. Let's say, about 45! Does this mean you get to tell her what to do?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell her what to do? I do that already, of course.
      Toodle pip!
      Bertie.

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday Bertie (and a very belated birthday greeting to Gail as we missed that post last year). Mum barked out loud when she saw Gail's slide rule as she still has one plus a book of statisctical tables from her studies many years ago. Now, with her memory, she would need to use Google to work out how to use either item! Hopefullly you will get lots of treats, pats and new toys for your birthday! Love and woofs, Riley (who is now 13 1/2 human years but much older in dog years)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail loves the idea of Googling 'how to use a slide rule'!

      Delete
  8. That is a cool way to figure out an age but we only counts seasons of love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must add, re the slide rule, that my dad (born in 1922) got a slide rule for Christmas as a youngster. He was so excited, he showed his grandmother how to do calculate a cubed root. She listened with interest and then asked, "would you like to know how to do that by hand?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, Momma is ancient and I only just turned two, so I'm definitely the spoiled baby of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are BOTH younger than our mom, but she does her best to keep up with us!

    Kiki and Rosie

    ReplyDelete