Monday 3 February 2020

A bonus blue sky moment

So Gail was doing a good job managing expectations as she drove me across to the Torridon cottage on Friday morning.

"Now Bertie, I'm afraid we might not achieve any but the shortest of walks this weekend. I checked the weather forecast and it's promising non-stop heavy rain and strong winds for the next few days."

The ground and everything else was sodden when we arrived, and Gail's attempts to keep me out of the mud were, of course, unsuccessful.

But by Saturday lunchtime the rain had subsided and I even thought I could detect 'glimpses of brightness' (a phrase much favoured by optimistic outdoor enthusiasts in Scotland) between the clouds.

I waited patiently outside the Torridon Stores while Gail enjoyed a coffee and a chinwag about former colleagues with the owner Jo.
(Gail's always telling me how a quarter of a century ago she and Jo both used to work for the same company, located on Trafalgar Square, between Northumberland Avenue and Charing Cross, but frankly I find that hard to believe.)

The weather gods smiled on my patience and, with Gail duly re-caffeinated, we enjoyed a bonus blue sky moment, all the sweeter for being unanticipated, as we traversed the gentle 1.5 mile circuit around the head of the loch.

15 comments:

  1. Bertie, what a timing, we have a mud post today too... butt the mama was the one who ended swamped LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad ya got a lil sun for a walk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bertie what a glorious place to walk...
    here is my virtual postcard: Wish I was there with you muddy feets and all!!!
    Look at how very tall your shadow is and a very happy WFT tail too
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    OMD Bertie lad, we know how to grab those 'glimpses' we Scots, do we not??? (And yes, I count Gail in that statement. Made home here for >10 years? Definitely a Scot!!!) Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail has in fact lived in Scotland for over 21 years, but I think we'll find she's still very much English at 16:45 next Saturday!

      Delete
  5. It looks like you ended up with a beautiful day for a walk Bertie. We haven't been so lucky here with many days of cloudy, wet weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love that last photo of you bouncing along, Bertie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're so glad that you managed to get a good walk - in a beautiful spot, judging by the photos. I hope that you got a lot of treats for being such a good boy and waiting so patiently outside the stores for Gail.
    We've had beautiful weather here - lots of sunshine and temperatures in the mid 20ยบ's. Such a change from only two weeks ago today, when we had the scariest winds and we thought the rain would never stop. It was soooo cold too - even for me, in my fur coat!

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful walk with the pretty blue sky, but we have admit we REALLY love the picture of your muddy muddy paws!

    Kiki and Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  9. A little muddiness never hurt, right Bertie! We are so happy you found some blue skies and got to go on a bit of a walk anyway!
    xoxo,
    Rosy, Jakey & Arty

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Glimpses of brightness' what a great term!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a good thing you were wearing those dark black boots when you went out to play in the mud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my Bertie. You look fabulous in mud! Smiles
    Walks are always fun.
    I have news at Oreos blog.

    Wags
    Addi

    ReplyDelete
  13. The countryside there is breathtaking, and Gail really knows how to photograph it! I am so glad that you got a glimpse of brightness and even a blue sky moment. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to see you are finding blue skies, especially post brexit!

    ReplyDelete