However, I have been perusing a novel set in the land where Gail is meeting up with her American friends, and I am now not sure that I am the one that you should all be feeling sorry for.
Why ever do you think Gail might want to abandon me for ten days, when the rival attractions appear to be:
- Squidburger and seal flipper pie
- Fog and damp (as if she doesn't get enough of that in Scotland)
- Winds so strong that houses are held down with cables*
- Dirty and dingy (but expensive) motels
- Gruesome boating accidents
- Peculiar natives (not all friendly)
- A local press concerned mainly with incest and car wrecks
Did I do something terribly bad?
PS In case you are still puzzled as to Gail's destination, here is another clue. She expects to be seeing lots of these!
*I have been reminded that our garden shed in Torridon is similarly anchored.