Thursday 18 January 2018

Feeling better already - thank you!

I guess it was all the kind messages you sent after my 'feeling very sorry for myself' post on Monday.

Anyway, I am pleased to report that my poorly paw is feeling loads better, so much so that yesterday afternoon I was able to enjoy an energetic romp around the 'Gramps' (a hilltop nature reserve on the nearby southern edge of Aberdeen, the name is a local abbreviation of Grampians and absolutely nothing to do with grandparents, you understand).

As you can see, we have been blessed with some winter sunshine here, although much of Scotland is covered in snow.

Gail says she is not sure what was going on with my paw. Initially the problem seemed to be a small cut on the underside, between the paw pads. This become infected and the vet gave me antibiotics and it all seemed to heal up nicely after a couple of days. But then a few days later, last weekend, the same paw become swollen and I was really uncomfortable and didn't want to walk at all. Gail feared one of the dreaded interdigital cysts was developing. Except perhaps it wasn't as by Tuesday I was feeling right as rain again. Paws crossed it stays that way - I had such a horrid time last winter with those evil cysts.

As a result of this latest podiatric hiccup, Gail and I have been wondering if any of our friends can recommend brands of protective boots which might help keep my precious and sensitive front paws out of trouble for the rest of this winter? As you know, I am an adventurous hiker and like to go out in all weathers, and so the boots would need to be quite rugged. (I do have a pair Trixie 'walker' shoes but they tend to slip down off my paws after I have walked a short distance and I don't really like wearing them). Oh and Gail says any boots would need to be easy to put on, which I think says more about her shortcomings than mine...

22 comments:

  1. Bertie I'm so glad that your paw looks pawsome now... and I hope for many comments, we looked for protection boots too, but we are totally unsure... we only know that the poison-green boots from amazon are a mispurchase, no one can walk in this boots... not even nancy sinatra...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no! But we are so glad to read that you are already feeling better. Take extra special care; we know you will!

    Xo
    Tootsie & Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bertie I'm so glad your poorly paw is better. It sounds like a cut and not those wretched cysts, so that's good news.
    When Petite-Chose had walking difficulties, and kept slipping on the tiled floors we have here, my human looked for some shoes to help her. She found some on the Miscota website. It is a big company throughout Europe, and sell everything for animals. They have a very good selection of non-slip socks for indoors, and some super rugged walking shoes (at a super rugged price - but you can buy just one !) which might be just the thing for you. We found them on the Spanish website, but they sell the same on the English one too.
    Hope you can find something to suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've just had a look at the Miscota website again, and there are some very stylish boots, Bertie. Tell Gail to type in Boots for Dogs and the page should come up ! I rather fancy the burnt orange one myself !

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    What good news this is Bertie lad. I just spent a lovely ten minutes looking at dog boots and socks and shoes... OMD, so many to choose from. Good luck to Gail on that one. Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're glad you're feeling better, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Bertie my buddy thank goodness I have been so concerned about your sore paw as I know it put a big crimp in your get along.
    I know lots of pups wear boots and it looks like you have some good advice.
    I hope you find the purrfect MANLY WFT foot wear. good luck and we look forward to seeing you wear them
    Hugs madi your bffff

    ReplyDelete
  8. She uses Musher Secret on our paws, both for heat and cold. You can read about it at musherssecret.net
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bertie I think Gail needs to talk so some of those Iditarod mushers and dogs to see what some of those dogs wear. Why their boots have to stay on, they have no time to stop the clock is a ticking.
    Thanks for being a friend
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
  10. Easy to put on...but hard to kick off. Nope, we can't help you. Glad the paw is feeling better, though. Can't believe you didn't want to WALK.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bertie, It sounds like you are going to wear much better boots on your paws than I ever had! Many years ago when I had an injured paw, which required stiches, my vet used a Kiwi "no. eight wire" approach. He gave me some plastic IV drip bags and I had to have them firmly taped around the plastic (so the wouldn't fall off) on my leg to keep my foot dry and away from irritating grass every time I visited our garden! I can only imagine what our neighbours thought of me wearing upcycled" IV bag footwear!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are happy to hear your paw is better. Our Angel Greta wore some boots in the winter cold that had velcro straps to help them stay on.
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are happy your paw is feeling better Bertie! Mama has't found any kind of boots that I will keep on yet...but I hope Gail finds you some real soon!
    xoxo,
    Arty

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad your paw is feelin better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Bertie! Glad your paw is doing better. We recommend Original All-Weather Muttluks. We used them when we lived in New Hampshire USA. They have a US and a Canadian site. https://muttluks.com/collections/dog-boots
    And: Do you ship internationally?
    Yes. Muttluks ships anywhere in the world. Additional shipping charges apply. VAT charges are applied to international orders based on the rate specific to that country.
    Fees, Taxes and Restrictions: A foreign government may impose a charge for custom and brokerage fees, duties and taxes on items received. These charges do not originate from Muttluks. The purchaser is responsible for payment of all custom and brokerage fees, duties and taxes that may be imposed when the goods are imported. These fees vary from country to country. To determine the fees applicable contact your local government. Hope this helps! Fay and the cardis three and the SPoo puppy. PS My comment disappeared the after I published it the first time, so I hope it appears once, but not twice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail says: Thanks very much Fay for taking the time to provide this recommendation. I shall certainly investigate Muttluks for Bertie.

      Delete
    2. I am certain you (Bertie) will looks stunning in any pair Gail selects for you!

      Delete
  17. Glad to hear that you are feeling better :-) Nose licks and love from Moth xx

    ReplyDelete