Friday 18 September 2020

Friday exam question.


It's better to live somewhere with a changeable and unpredictable climate, as everything looks that bit more special when the sun finally appears. Discuss. 

This is what Gail was telling me as we sat through 36 hours of continuous heavy rain last weekend. But don't worry, exams are all cancelled in 2020, so I didn't have to write an essay on the topic. Instead I'll take you for a walk along the Woodland Trail in the Beinn Eighe National Nature Reserve. And guess what? The sun did peep shyly from behind the clouds from time to time during the hike...

We start off with me posing nicely in front of the information kiosk. Do you like the heather eco-roof? I do!

Then I lead the way up the well-constructed but steepish path. (Gail's ankle is almost completely better now, but I told her not to take risks). 

When she catches up and I pose nicely again with Loch Maree in the background. 

Slioch, the big hill behind the loch, is still covered in cloud. I've never been up there but Gail tells me that she and my predecessor Hamish once made it to the summit, a twelve mile round trip with a lot of rough climbing. 

It's a grand view looking west down Loch Maree too. 

Back near the car park nature has apparently provided a perfectly formed water bowl. 

But for some reason Gail doesn't want me to drink from it.

I hope you enjoyed our wee hike today. In this part of the world, one has to seize the moment. It might be raining again tomorrow...

Happy Nature Friday! And thanks once again to Rosy and the Gang for hosting this lovely blog hop.


13 comments:

  1. oh Bertie that was wonderful to walk with you... 12 miles to da summit...wow that's like 87, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous photos! Love that Heather roof!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful spot to go hiking around in. Mom says one thing she really disliked when she lived in Europe, was the rain and damp, gray weather. We get a lot of sun here, even in the winter which is nice. Hope you get more sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bertie please thank Gail for no exam. OMDs OMCs OMyMy I was so busy using my eyes I forgot to use my ears. What breathtakingly awesome scenery..
    WOW. I'm glad you and Gail were able to find a clear day for this amazing trip out into Nature
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking us along on your beautiful hike, Bertie. Sorry to hear about that awful rain. Could you send some our way though? It's been very dry here lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    Well I never, I was just watching this week's "Landward" on the beeb and Dougie was in Beinn Eighe looking at the old forest. Some gorgeous arial views... but none with the tushy of a very fine WFT!!! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just watched Dougie. Looks like he encountered some typical West coast weather, and did I see him swatting away the midges at one point?!

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      More than a few - that closing shot on the piece had a mist before the camera that was nothing but a swarm of the wee blighters!!! Yxx

      Delete
  7. What a gawjuss walk! We heard that the UK was having to introduce more movement restrictions. Are you still going to be able to visit Torridon and do your hikes??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful walk today Bertie!! Our rainy season is right around the corner, so we are going to make sure and get out this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had an eco-roof once where we walk only it was wisteria and guess what the weight caused it to crash down.
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
  10. We would love to live where you live but we live in the United States so nobody wants us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely hike Bertie. Glad Gail's ankle is healing.

    ReplyDelete