Saturday 27 December 2014

Yoicks and Tally Ho!

Well my friends, I might not have got quite so many Christmas presents as most of you did (yes, Sweet William, you are so right about Gail being a bit of a Scrooge), but let me tell you, my Boxing Day outing more than made up for any meagre haul from "Santa".

Of course you know that I am a fox terrier and my kind were originally bred to take part in the traditional English sport of fox-hunting. Our role was to unearth foxes that had gone to ground when being pursued by the hunt.

Now some of you may be aware that since 2004, more's the pity*, the hounds are no longer allowed to tear their quarry to shreds, and us terriers play no part at all in what these days is basically a gallop across the fields, either following an artificially laid scent or ending up with a fox being shot.

But it remains a strong tradition in South Nottinghamshire for the local fox hunting fraternity to gather in the village of Car Colston for the annual  'Boxing Day Meet'. Many's the time Gail has told me how it was an important part of her family Christmas festivities to drive out from their suburban home and enjoy this spectacle, in the days when 'real' fox hunting was still permitted'.

You can imagine how excited I was when she suggested we go along this year to Car Colston to see what this event looks like in 2014.

And when I caught sight of the splendidly turned out huntsmen (and women and children) astride their handsome mounts, I gazed enviously at the pack of hounds baying at the horses' hooves, and every single one of my wiry terrier hairs stood on end as, in my mind, I re-enacted my ancestral role...

*Gail says: please remember, those of a sensitive disposition, that this is the terrier perspective...

21 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Bertie lad, I complete understand the call of the genes... you can take the dog away from the fox but the fox will ever remain within the dog!!! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Bertie - I'm glad to see they are following tradition as best as they can. It would be a shame to see that go away.

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cor Blimey Bertie...a REAL TBT! Just wish you could have participated in moving the old fox out of the den!

    In AWE
    Gus n Teka

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have this hunts here too but not with a real fox, it's just a guy with a badge or maybe with a fox costume. Many moons ago my mom was a part of the team, butt that was as she had a giant dog with a seat on the back, think that's called horse... Great that you were there, you are an expert, butt not like that hounds who are like an army, a Fox Terrier is like a one-dog-special force :o)
    Easy Rider

    ReplyDelete
  5. we can only imagine how much you wished you could run with them (maybe next time take scissors so you can cut through your lead :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. TALLY HO.... We think that OUR love of HUNTING is a grand tradition... be it FOX or Badger... or Squirrels... even a Mole mixed it.. is GRRRREAT fur US...
    TALLY HO we say...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OD Bertie...you were definitely in your element!!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty and Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  8. That first photo looks like a painting! My grandfather was from the UK and he and my grandmother had a set of these prints I fondly remember from childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bertie thank goodness at least for your ancestral memories... Your WFT spirit was ready to roll. I can tell by your fine tail.
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm..... I'd suggest gnawin' thru yer leash next time... then, game on!!!

    We've heard dat some groups are tryin' to get rid of foxhuntin' in England furst... sumthin' 'bout da Labour Party bein' sympathetic to da cause. Don't think dat will go ovfur too well here in da US.



    ReplyDelete
  11. SHE has always been appalled at letting the fox be ripped to shreds....but we terriers are right with you. We'd love it! Well, maybe just a good death shake.

    It was a splendid day out. Too bad you've got to keep Gail on the lead, no telling what she'd do in all the excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy fox tails! That must have been such a fantastic event
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, we would have loved to have gone with yous!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  14. We would have wanted to hunt too! What a nice tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rippin to shreds sounds like a good time to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Crikey Bertie ...... lucky you!! A fox hunt. I sure would have loved to be there. Mum's ALWAYS wanted to see one. A REAL one. She'd probably run into the pack to try and save the fox but she'd still like to see one.
    I didn't get any pressies either. My Mum's a scrooge too. Must be a Scottish thing, aye?? All I got was a head butt but I did get a roast pork dinner with cracklin'

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bertie - How prescient ! We saw this in The Spectator and thought of you : http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/isabel-hardman/2014/12/why-the-tories-are-stirring-up-a-row-on-hunting/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail says: I was surprised by the large number of people (and terriers!) who turned out to support the hunt at Car Colston on Friday. No protesters in sight.

      Delete
  18. What a great adapted tradition and glad you were able to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We know you were really there to check out the cute little blonde dog in photo 4...you rascal, Bertie!

    Wyatt and Stanzie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just stopping by to wish you and your family good health and much happiness in 2015!

    ReplyDelete