Monday 16 October 2017

Getting spiffed up for Granny!



Perhaps some of my readers are unaware that I am on a regular basis subjected to a quite onerous grooming regime?

You might be thinking, "Oh that Bertie, he sports the natural look; none of your fancy-schmancy poodle parlour business for him".

Well, it is indeed true that the concept of a 'spa day' is alien to both human and canine occupants of this household, and that my fur-do is not the result of the professional attention.

But make no mistake, just as it can take a long time for a certain type of human (usually female) to create the impression she is wearing no make-up, and some human males go to very great pains to cultivate a not-shaved-for-four-days look, it also follows that my 'rough and ready' appearance is underpinned by considerable and ongoing efforts.

Early in my puppyhood, Gail took the decision that she was perfectly capable of teaching herself - with the help of a demo from my breeder and the occasional YouTube video - how to groom a wire-haired fox terrier.

And that has been the pattern of things for the last seven years.

So the furs on my back, neck and haunches are hand-stripped by Gail - a matter which I tolerate if given a tasty enough long-lasting chew to distract me from the mild discomfort involved. Scissors are used for my underside, face and ears, and my legs are pretty much left alone...

Thing is, because Gail generally adopts a 'little and often' approach to the hand stripping business, it tends to go unnoticed - and, we feel, unappreciated - by the world at large.

Well I would like to point out that on Friday morning I was stripped and clipped for as long as my patience and Gail's mildly arthritic thumbs would allow.

The timing might have something to do with the fact that I'm going to visit Human Granny for a few days later this week, and she always complains if she can't see my eyes.

Anyway, I like to think I was looking pretty spiffy for my Saturday afternoon walk in the woods, and I'm optimistic about catching the attention of (treat-bearing) admirers on the train to Nottingham on Thursday.

15 comments:

  1. you look super fantabulous Bertie... my grandparents and the mama tried it only one time to give their WHFT a haircut and a new styling at home... it ended in a disaster and they went back to the gleeful grinning groomer ;o) Have fun with your granny and give a her a big hug... a wise man named saint-exupery once said: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly... so it doesn't matter if your eyes are visible ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    OMD Bertie, you always look spiffy to my eyes; then again, I's also not one for more than a minute before a mirror. Which probably shows... HGY will love to see you, of this I have no doubt, as long as you are permitted to visit this time round. Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh my cats Bertie we two seniors had no idea the time an effort (by both you and Gail) required for your handsome, yet rough and tumbled look. Bravo to Gail for her efforts and to you for your patience. We are certain Human Granny will stare lovingly into your beautiful eyes this week.
    FYI: my feline look requires a little spit polish by me and some brushing by mom. Then once a month dad cradles me like a baby while mom gives me a pedicure.
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well i finks you look VERY handsome Bertie and I nose Granny will be sooooo pleased to see you
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a handsome guy you are Bertie, and how wonderful to have Gail perform all the grooming tasks needed!
    xoxo,
    Jakey, Arty & Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Gail does a great job getting you spiffed up!
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Granny is gonna be SOOOOOOOO happy to see you Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do have that perfectly groomed look. We get groomed at home, too. We never know when SHE'll swoop and grab one of us. We think Gail does a better job, though.

    We know Granny will be pleased to see you and your gorgeous eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bertie, looking soooo handsome....sigh.

    -Osa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! You are looking very spiffy indeed! I think it's pawesome that your person can do this for you, instead of having to go to the groomer! I only went to groomer once and it was very scary. I'm am sure some groomers are not scary, but getting it done at home in the comfort of your own bed with a yummy chew sounds perfect to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are looking handsome before and after if you ask us! Our pawrents do the job here too - every 3 weeks!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bertie, it's an awful chore, all this grooming, but it will be well worth it. HG will be so proud of you.

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. All travelers on trains through or to Nottingham this coming weekend will be required to carry a minimum of two dog treats for Master Bertie. I have spoken.

    Teka Toy, queen of joy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bertie we think you are the most handsome ALWAYS!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you get a special seat on the train. Bertie. Have a great trip and visit to human granny. don't forget your manners with that little bit of fluff that lives in with its mum. Enjoy the trip

    ReplyDelete