Wednesday 26 April 2017

Ice and ice-cream - a discussion


Scene near Gail's workplace, 25 April
Gosh Gail, I am wondering why you decided to whip up some home-made ice cream, the very week when it has been snowing again in Aberdeen? Your timing is not good is it?

Bertie, surely you know that criticising your human is not part of the dog job description! Rather, you are supposed to offer non-judgemental adoration at all times. That said, I will concede you might have a point about the poor timing. 

Yes. Please explain yourself then.

Well Bertie, you know how much we both love reading about the adventures of our PON friends Bob and Sophie and their humans Angus and 'the Font', in Angus's daily blog? The writing is so vivid that for a few minutes each morning we are transported to their warm corner of France profonde, and we forget we live in chilly Aberdeen, don't we? 

Er yes I guess that's true up to a point. Although the fact that I am still waiting to be offered a sliver of croissant for breakfast is something of a give-away, I feel.

Anyway, Angus mentioned at the weekend that 'the Font' was making homemade buttermilk ice cream and it sounded so delicious!  No soon as he had kindly provided the recipe than I hot footed it down to Sainsbury's for the ingredients, and it was all in the freezer before the BBC's Tomasz Schafernaker could say the words: "Cold blast of Arctic air imminent".


Hmmm, so now that I have warmed up from my icy walk around the park, I am thinking perhaps we could try a wee sample of the buttermilk ice cream? After all, it might be another year or so before we enjoy properly hot weather, and Gail, it would be dreadful for all your efforts to go to waste.

OK Bertie, I am persuaded, here it is!  A bowl with raspberries for me and a wee morsel for you too.


Oh my goodness this is utterly heavenly! Although I am thinking it is Scotch whisky and not the prescribed Bourbon you have mixed in with the cream, buttermilk, honey and granulated sugar?


Yes Bertie, in fact the Scotch whisky was your very own 'Sweet Wee Scallywag' blend. I'm so glad you liked the ice cream. I did too.


So when are we getting seconds then?


16 comments:

  1. ice cream after an icy walk is simply THE best... and buttermilk icecream is the bestestest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice cream with whiskey sounds just about Dachshund Grandpa's speed!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Brrrrrrrrrrrrr,,, I am one of those strange critters who is not enamoured of icecream - but home made stuff might just tempt me!!! I am impressed... hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything made with the help of a wee scallywag (or the similarly named beverage) has to be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buttermilk I Scream..................oh me oh my my mom would probably eat the entire container. She actually drinks buttermilk..not every day or every week but she does love it.
    Bertie the trivia question on our fav radio station today was? What is the on thing that everyone says makes them smile? A: Ice Cream
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  6. We took a vote here and unanimously decided ice cream with booze for brekky sounds way better than a wee sliver of croissant any day of the week.
    Bonnie n Kenzie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bertie - Delighted you were able to try the ice cream ( congratulations all round ). Be thankful you weren't on Barra where it was really cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Bertie don't question the human when they are making homemade I Scream
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ice cream is good no matter the weather! Is there leftovers?

    Wyatt and Tegan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Bertie, you lucky boy - a whole plate of home made ice cream all to yourself ! I'll have to get my peep to make some, but I'm not sure if we have any whisky !

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Homemade icecream....what a treat. We also love reading about the little village with its cast of characters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Bertie I agree the helping looks a tad small......... Seconds seems appropriate. I should send you my recipe for buttermilk scones to be eaten with jam and cream. I see that Gail is looking at maps of France,I trust you are being consulted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMD...Ice cream....bourbon...seconds?? Sounds like the perfect meal!!
    Smileys!
    Arty, Jakey & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh, homemade ice cream?! What a pawesome treat, whatever the weather! Momma says she craves ice cream when it's cold for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Booze in da ice cream?? Oh, da possibilities!! Kahlua in da chocklate, rum in da lime... I's afraid ya may have created a monster, Bertie...bol, bol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You got soused on ice cream ~ hilarious. Sounds like a recipe we shall try. We do love buttermilk. Buttermilk is lower in fat and calories than whole milk. . It is also high in potassium, vitamin B12, calcium, and riboflavin as well as a good source of phosphorus. Add the honey a powerfood and put in the booze for medicinal uses and it is the perfect food for the fitness post. It is all relevant ~ see!
    Thanks for being a friend
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete