Friday 29 May 2015

FFHT: Bertie gets Cross with St George

It's Murphy and Stanley's FFHT time again, and as usual the set phrase is highlighted in red …

In a Flap about a Flag

As my regular readers will already know, mine is a mixed race household. Although I live in Scotland, Gail (my human carer) was born south of the border to English parents, and brought up in the fine city of Nottingham, and she still identifies herself as English. Whereas I am, of course, a proudly Scottish pup.

Tensions first arose in the summer of 2010 when I was just a few months old.  The football (that's ‘soccer’ to my US friends) World Cup was taking place in South Africa. England had qualified for the competition but Scotland sadly had not.

“So Bertie my young pup”, said Gail, “in the absence of your national team, I assume you will be cheering for England along with me. After all, they will be needing all the support they can get*. Look here, I have a flag for you to wear for the first game. I’m afraid this was the only one I could find in Aberdeen. It is rather large but I’m sure we can tastefully arrange it over your wiry wee frame.”

Well.

I reacted as any self-respecting Scot would to being draped in the flag of the Auld Enemy.

Unfortunately, the harder I tried to get it off me, the more ensnared in this dreadful piece of fabric I became.

I had all but strangled myself before Gail managed to dissociate me from the Cross of St George and was able to snatch a photo.

I am pleased to report that a certain England fan learned her lesson and has never again committed such an atrocity upon my person.


*This prediction proved to be accurate


19 comments:

  1. The very idea!!! Thank dogness you didn't injure yourself entangled in that foreign cloth. I hope the nightmares of that day haven't damaged you too much.

    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Good Grief Bertie Lad... I trust you have additionally remedied this by ensuring the purchase of Saltire for appropriate events! (Mind you, the FIFA-gate carry on may ensure the demise of such support requirements...) Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the shame Bertie! Please don't send this to Alex or Nicola, we'll never hear the end of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Cavalier King Charles I do claim some Scots ancestry via the Stuarts butt, well I still support England as they lose...again!
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a ross with that cross huh? we are a mixed race household too and sometimes it isn't easy to know who I am... as a pup of a german breed by a french Weimaraner girl and an american Weim-pup I feel a little confused what flag I should wear :o)
    easy rider

    ReplyDelete
  6. My, you were a wee thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are certainly glad that Gail Learned her lesson with THIS one... You were such a Wee Lad... and yet quite able to make your feelings known... Good On You Bertie... KEEP it UP... Peeps Often need Re Training.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehehehehe, oh you poor thing bein' draped in anudder country's flag.

    If you get a chance pop by my blog. Such a sweet memory theres fur you to see.

    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why is it at times, our caregivers deem it necessary to project their views and opinions upon us??
    Silly Mamas (and caregivers)...
    Understanding Smleys!
    Dory

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my look at you and that flag you are a true scots man

    retror over

    ReplyDelete
  11. BERTIE I WAS GOING TO ASK WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS GAIL THINKING BUT THEN IT BECAME OBVIOUS....SHE WAS NOT THINKING, OTHERWISE SHE WOULD NEVER HAVE TRIED TO CHANGE ALLEGIANCE OF A WFT!! EVEN AS A PUP YOU KNEW YOUR OWN MIND.
    HUGS MADI AND CLAPPING WILDLY

    ReplyDelete
  12. We heard flags could be quite dangerous
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  13. BOL! We loved that story and your hooman leaned a lesson too! Thanks for pawticipating!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  14. What the snot........man is a wonder you didn't go off...not a good thing to mess with a Scot!

    The Mad Scots

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my oh my, we can only imagine your dismay at being draped in the flag of your ancient enemy. Glad you got it off you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bertie - Probably best not to have an English flag draped over your shoulders on Union Street on a Saturday night !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mara tried to put a collar and leash on me once. But I jumped out and was able to roam about like I wanted. I did come back though and she never tried it again. We have to teach those humans you know...

    Miaow
    Miss Oswin

    ReplyDelete