Sunday 9 December 2018

But where were their kilts?


In the failing mid-afternoon light, Gail took me for a walk yesterday in the grounds of Crathes Castle.

As I did my "pose nicely Bertie" bit in front of the 16th century tower house, I could hear sounds of high spirited humanity echoing in my flappy little ears.

I wanted to run across and make friends with the group behind me, who all seemed to be having such a fun time taking each other's pictures and generally larking about. But Gail told me I had to keep my distance, 'cos the bride and bridesmaids wouldn't want muddy paws on their dresses.

Well you could have knocked me down with a feather. A wedding party? Surely not! I mean, look at all those men in suits. Where were their kilts??

I had always assumed kilts were compulsory male attire at these occasions, especially if your wedding venue happens to be a genuine Scottish Castle.

But Gail insisted that it is, in this country, permitted for the groom and best man etc. to wear suits with trousers, or in fact any other outfit of their choosing, and the near ubiquity of kilt-wearing is through choice and is in no way obligatory.

Well my oh my, you learn something new every day.

15 comments:

  1. Bertie - What a jolly time at Crathes. Good question about wedding attire. The general rule of thumb is a practical one. Kilts are designed to be worn in cold climates not warmer ones where mosquitoes and other sting laden insects abound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wish you had been allowed to go up and kiss the bride. It would have been the bestest photo! And with Gail’s help, you would not have offended anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. And surely Gail could have offered to pay for dry cleaning all the dresses afterwards....
      Toodle pip!
      Bertie.

      Delete
  3. Hari Om
    Gracious, Bertie lad, what a scene to come upon. A joy and heart-lifter, kilts or none! hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's too bad Gail didn't let you greet the wedding party. We are sure they would have loved to give you some pets. That sure looks like a great place to have a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous spot for a wedding! It's such a shame that you couldn't race across the grass and make friends with all of the guests and join in the festivities, Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bertie, we think you would have added a touch of class to the wedding photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bertie
    I'm with you when in Scotland...do as the Scots!!
    YOu know I'd wear a kilt even as a woman I love the red plaids. Your furs look very fluffy did you ruffle them up due to cold or are you using a new shampoo? BOL That was for sure a destination wedding
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. With all those fur wraps on the lovely ladies, we think it might have been a wee bit chilly for the men to be in kilts (unless they were into wearing leggings:)

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Bertie, surely the wedding party would have loved to have you in some of their pictures!
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, they all look so purty! I am sure if you barked nicely they would have given you a piece of wedding cake Bertie! And I am sure Gail would have paid for their dry cleaning ....hehehee
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bertie,

    Here in New Zealand we are still waiting to see a photo of our wee Scottish friend wearing his very own kilt. If you think Gail wouldn’t choose an appropriate tartan for you and make you wear a kilt just remember that she followed our earlier suggestions and got you to wear a special hard hat when you went near falling rocks. BOL.

    Sending you lots of woofs,
    Riley and Enzo (and the one who types for them who needs something to smile at today).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Momma says SHE thinks kilts should be obligatory at ALL weddings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very festive! We can see why pants would be preferable in the winter and warm parkas too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We would have like to seen kilts too Bertie...but it looked pretty chilly for bare human legs :-)
    xoxo,
    Rosy, Jakey & Arty

    ReplyDelete