Friday 15 June 2018

Flower Friday and a Bouncing Beach!


Gosh I had a bright idea this week.

Did you know that Gail has volunteered to do some wildflower monitoring work for a conservation organisation called Plantlife

I confess I was a bit surprised 'cos Gail's flower identification skills are er, frankly, er, shall we say 'basic'?

Well apparently she is persuaded you can teach an old dog new tricks, as it were, and so, being a cooperative wee chap, I have decided to help her by posting every week on Flower Friday about a wildflower I have sniffed during that week.

I'm just going to do one flower at a time, so Gail's poor brain doesn't get overloaded. 

Today I'm showing you the sea rocket, which I came across a few days ago, while roaming around beach at the St Cyrus National Nature Reserve, thirty miles down the coast from Aberdeen.

It must be quite a hardy wee thing, this sea rocket plant, 'cos believe me it's never warm right by the North Sea, even in June, and not every flower wants to be sprayed with salt all the time either. 

Pretty though, don't you think?

I'm told that the thick and fleshy leaves are edible and rich in vitamin C, although I must say I was not tempted.

Oh and finally, I do want to tell you something else about the St Cyrus Nature Reserve, even though it has nothing to do with plants.

Apparently the area just back from the current shoreline is a raised beach. It used to be the actual beach, when the land was weighed down by ice in the last glaciation, but now the ice has melted, the land has rebounded to a higher level. A display in the Visitor Centre tells you all about it.

I do like the idea of a Bouncing Beach.

11 comments:

  1. oh I love that name... and I bet with all da vitamin c they can make you to a rocket ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari om
    Bertie lad, methinks you have given
    Gail just the right project to fill your Friday posts (tho' I do hope ther is an FFF entry in the offing!) As for a bouncing beach? Wel, it was just made for you laddie!!! Hugs and wags (from Putney) YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It are a pretty flower! And a bouncing beach - dat are perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sea rocket is beautiful and it looks so strange to me to see it growing in the sand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very pretty flower growing in the sand. A bouncing beach - what fun you'll have there, Bertie !

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sea Rocket spotted by Bouncing Bertie on Bouncing Land...that is a 3 'fer'! What a delicate pretty flower for North Sea Beach.
    Mom is purrty sure she'd love to walk along your beach and possibly nibble on some Vit. C.
    Well done with your pose too.
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for telling us about the St. Cyrus Nature Reserve. That sea rocket plant is very pretty. It almost looks too dainty and delicate to endure the cold.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Bertie,

    Those leaves look better for peeing on that eating... It is nice of you to help your person! Also, we have bouncing beaches here too!

    Licks,
    Cobi

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect beach for you Bertie!! We enjoyed learning about the sea rocket plant...and yes, it is very pretty!!
    xoxo,
    Jakey, Arty & Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  10. That flower is very pretty! A bouncing beach would be a lot of fun!
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you and Gail enjoy learning about wildflowers. A bouncing beach would be fun.

    ReplyDelete