Monday 14 February 2022

What, no logs?


Just because it's a dreary day, that doesn't mean one has to stay indoors does it?

Gail and I were thrilled to once again join our friends M and J for a walk on Sunday.  We went to the Forvie National Nature Reserve.

I did have one moment of panic, when Gail made me stop and pose for some photos and I feared we might lose sight of M and J. Past experience has taught me that it is important in particular to keep track of the pink jacket, one pocket of which often contains generously sized dog treats...

Oh. Gail is questioning my commitment to staying with our little group, noting how at one point in the walk I set off at pace down a different track in pursuit of a lone jogger. 

Obviously, I only did this in my capacity as Gail's personal trainer, making sure her teenage sprinting skills had not been totally forgotten*. 

I'm afraid we didn't manage to add to the 'M and J sitting on a log' series on this particular walk, as the Nature Reserve is by the sea and comprises dunes and coastal heathland, with only a few low shrubs scattered thereabouts.
 
But I can offer some pictures of the coastline, dramatic even in the dull February weather.

P.S.  For those of you who can access BBC iPlayer, the Forvie Nature Reserve, long a favourite place of ours, features in this episode of Michael Portillo's 'Great Coastal Railway Journeys'.

*Gail notes: Bertie still has a mind of his own, but as he is now completely deaf, shouting is pointless and the only way I can retrieve him is to give chase! 

16 comments:

  1. your land is amazing... we love it so much to wander with you... hugs to you and to gail... and a happy valentines day

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sun may not have been shining, Bertie, but it still looks a lovely walk - even with no logs!
    You had treats, you lucky boy!

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been watching the recent Michael Portillo Coastal Journeys and I am loving them. After each episode I write down places I would like to visit one day, sigh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail says: Who would have predicted in 1997 that Portillo would now be approaching National Treasure status!!

      Delete
  4. Hari Om
    Well, Bertie lad, no logs, but Gail got jogs and the camera got swags of fine photos - so no loss at all! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking you dear Bertie do not mind there being no logs because you always have somewhere to plant your sweet littl butt. as shows in the fab photo of you and the lady in pink with treats in her pocket. could not view the video since I do NOT live in UK.. I do wish there was a photo of Gail chasing after you. My stepdauther has 4 danes and a pit bull, 3 of the danes are deaf from birth. I did not realize you are deaf. You are such a good boy. love you Bertie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bertie Darlin' as always a most handsome series of bouncing Bertie photos. M&J are great trekking pals. OMDs you made are such a good trainer to insist Gail trek quickly uphill at mach speed to see the vistas. That being said you nose most have caught a scent of Foxes
    Hugs and Happy Birthday Week
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lady is chuckling imagining Bertie leading Gail on a wild run! Glad you are both staying in the best shape you can! SWAK Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you all had a great adventure during your walk. What a beautiful place to visit even with the grey skies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even if the weather is dreary, you do have the most spectacular walks! Or runs for Gail, chasing after you! Way to keep your owner fit, Bertie!

    Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete
  10. We always enjoy seeing your coastline Bertie!!
    xoxo,
    Rosy, Jakey & Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  11. No logs, or fancy napkins, but it is enough to know that the pink jacket pockets were full of treats! Lovely and interesting photos, again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a brave dog to walk in such cold weather. If I was as cute as you I would have to stop to get my picture taken too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gail, is that 'deaf' as in in all circumstances, or still hears the rattle of the treat packet? Our old Goldie retained that portion of her hearing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail replies: Sadly Bertie is now completely deaf in all circumstances, as far I can tell.

      Delete