Monday 22 August 2016

A misunderstanding about a gift...



So Gail, you went swanning off to the Edinburgh Festival for a couple of nights with your 'book group', leaving me behind with someone who is confused about what breed I am, and forgetting to give her my bedding. No doubt you are thoroughly ashamed of yourself and have bought me a whole sackful of treats in compensation?

Er, well, not exactly Bertie, but I did bring you this. 

This? A postcard purchased from the National Gallery of Scotland shop, depicting a painting of a Glen of Imaal terrier called Callum? Gail, I must say, even judged against your own abysmal present giving record, you have reached a new low this time. What on earth am I supposed to do with a postcard?

Well Bertie, the painting has a story behind it and I thought you might be interested. You see in 1895 Callum's owner James Cowan Smith commissioned this portrait from well known animal artist John Emms. Upon his - that is James Cowan Smith's - death in 1919,  he bequeathed the large sum of £55,000 to the National Gallery of Scotland, on condition that the painting of Callum was put on permanent display. And you can still see it there today, in among all the Monets, Titians, Poussins, Rubens etc. 

Oh, I see, I get it Gail. You are telling me that this is not just about the postcard. You are going to have some famous artist paint me, and then when you die you too will leave a large sum of money to our National Gallery and I will be on permanent display and remembered for ever and ever. Well Gail I must say I am most touched. That is a lovely present indeed, even if it does involve a rather strong element of deferred gratification…

Um, Bertie, to be strictly truthful, that wasn't actually quite what I meant… Perhaps we should change the subject and I'll tell you about the shows we saw at the Festival. Oh and I know, you would like to see a picture of Edinburgh in the rain wouldn't you?

Frankly Gail, I am so totally not interested.
Look. Here the sun is shining and it is time for my walk.

17 comments:

  1. that is a super idea!!! and your Gail hasn't to pay for a place in that gallery, they will offer you the bestest place furever&for free when they see your painting :o) btw: bertie, can you send me your snail mail addy pls, for the owlympig prize?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot your bed??? Well I hope that means you got to share the BIG bed?
    Oh, and I think there should most certainly be a portrait of your HANDSOME self on display in the National Gallery
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. No bed, not enough treats . . . . .Stink eye from everyone to Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bertie Bertie Bertie!! At best human intentions or lack there of are poor BUT good buddy you were surely on the short end of the receiving stick here. I agree with Princess Leah your portrait should be permanently hung in the National Gallery!
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    Crikey Bertie, it's getting worse! We can only hope that Gail got so thoroughly wet in that rain, there came with it a degree of misery to compare to your own! Not that we are jealous or anything, right? No. A stick of Edinburgh Rock might not have been out of order though... hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya deserve a better soo-va-neer dat dat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really - we think your Gail may need to so go to 'doggy appreciation' classes - she just doesn't seem to understanding you standing in the dog world :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bertie why would you want to hang around with musty old painting in a museum? You need Gail to commission a bronze statue to sit high up so you can forever be seen by all.
    Thanks for being a friend
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pictures, thanks for the share!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I can't wait to see your portrait! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bertie what are you going to do with her!
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never a dull moment at Bertie's place!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmmmmm. Telling you about the fun she had while you were abandoned without proper bedding. We think you NEED to bag a munro....or even a Marilyn AND have a swag of treats with you as compensaton.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crikey Bertie .... You need to teach Gail a lesson or two! How about you have another adventure of your own. You know ... Like when you explored Newcastle by yourself. Slip the old collar and take off. That'd make her stop and think, aye? No bedding??? Hang your head in shame, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My dear Bertie, I have found that postcards are kind of fun to toss around and chew on ...might give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute picture. I like pips idea

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Bertie, shame on Gail, how could she be so cruel?
    Definitely a bronze statue in a prominent place, so everyone can admire you.
    Petite-Chose and Inca xx

    ReplyDelete