Sunday 24 September 2017

Reflections on absence


Was it really only two weeks and three days
That you were gone and I was left bereft
Of all home comforts?

Abandoned in what I would not describe
As a 'pet haven', although I'm told that's what it's called.

Where was the comfy lap
On which to cuddle of an evening?
I barked (and barked) but no-one paid attention
(The other dogs were barking too).

Let me assure you,
A pad in a concrete kennel
Is no substitute
For a shared double bed (with goose down quilt).
And it's hard to sleep at night,
Unbolstered by the warm bulk of a human leg.

On too short walks with unfamiliar pups,
I yearned for Duthie Park.
For favourite trees, park benches, monuments,
For all my friends.

***

Did you miss me too?
My eager little fuzzy face,
And the endearing way my ears flap
As I trot daintily along
On my more compact than average paws?

You did?


16 comments:

  1. I kinda know how you feel - only it is one of my humans dat has been stuck at da boarding kennel (for some reason called da hospital).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bertie, I'm sure Gail will think twice about leaving you in future, after reading your sad blog.
    I've never been to kennels, so I wouldn't know how it feels to be abandoned, but I know I wouldn't like it.

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    My but you have a way with barks, Bertie lad; if that doesn't give Gail the guilts, I don't know what will!!! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teka says "thank you for barking so clearly about boarding facilities."

    She prefers stay at home with Teka sitters, but they are not always available.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bertie over here across the pond..Gail mentioned your name several times especially when she was around the Doodz and Josh. I bet you two are thoroughly enjoying your reunion. I can tell by this post that the Missing factor was 87 on a scale of 10.
    Hugs madi your bfff
    PS your photos are adorable

    ReplyDelete
  6. We missed you and wished you walked on the beach with us!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as she missed you and suffered some, too. Now, lets hope it's a long time before she ventures out for so long again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Bertie,

    That is a very sad poem! It is terrible when the people leave! But at least it has a happy ending - our people will always come back for us, right?

    Licks,
    Cobi

    ReplyDelete
  9. AHE missed you, Bertie. They just can't say it.

    -Otto

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bertie - Kennel owners will tell you that their canine guests have no concept of time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all missed you Bertie. Kennel owners will tell you that but how do they explain that the dogs expect their meals at a certain time each day. I know my dogs did

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Bertie, what a nightmare! I'm sorry Gail abandoned you for so long. I can't even imagine going through that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Bertie, the trouble you have seen ...how did ever survive such heartache?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bertie you definitely got the short crappy end of the stick with a pad in a concrete kennel.
    Thanks for being a friend
    Sweet William The Scot


































    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a feeling you were very much missed, Bertie...and at least she didn't bring you back a squeaky sister!
    xoxo,
    Jakey and Arty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I would have loved a real live squeaky sister!

      Delete