Sunday 23 September 2018

Lucky Doyle, and an encounter with Camilla


This is Doyle.

He must be among the world's luckiest dogs.

His owner Fiona is a Ranger on the Queen's Balmoral Estate, and he accompanies her to work every day. As far as I can gather from Gail, this means he spends his days romping around the forests and hills, or being driven along the estate tracks in the front seat of Fiona's Land Rover.

Gail met Doyle last Friday when she and another volunteer spent the day working with Fiona on a conservation project, measuring the extent of patches of a rare plant called Twinflower.

Although it is not obvious to me that there is anything so special about the tiny pinky-white bell shaped twinflowers,  I must say I was pretty miffed at being left behind in Aberdeen - apparently on the basis that I might be a "disruptive presence". Me, disruptive? Can you imagine?

So I had to make do with looking at Gail's photos.

I was most disappointed that Gail did not capture on camera the day's most interesting event, when the plant monitoring party came across Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, walking her Jack Russell terrier along one of the forest tracks.

Apparently Camilla gave them a friendly smile and a wave (I guess she's had plenty of practice at that).

After any encounter with a member of the Royal Family, it is of course obligatory to report on their attire, and so I demanded to know what Camilla, our future Queen, was wearing.

Was Gail kidding me when she described "a muddy pair of leggings, a battered Barbour jacket and one of those plastic rain bonnets that fold away concertina style - the sort I was embarrassed to see my mother wearing in the 1960s..." ??

PS Gail did take me for a nice muddy walk in the hills this morning, so the earlier abandonment is forgiven.


9 comments:

  1. My word Bertie what was GAil thinking leaving you behind...I think demerits are in order. How do we know she was not disruptive...I mean really no one reported on her behavior did they. Geeeeeeeez. I think Doyle is a most handsome Spaniel(I'm guessing). He sure does have a fun day job. Twinflower is most interesting.
    OM word I had no idea they still made those rain bonnets. I must prefer a hood for rain or wind or cold. Camilla is just a regular person at home. Jack Russels are a force to be reckoned with so no body guards needed right?
    Hugs and in spite of you being left to fend for yourself...this was most interesting.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a job....wandering around an estate....and perhaps chasing deer or other critters? We do think Gail should have taken you. We think she OWES you TWO muddy walks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari Om
    What a most delightful wee flower that is - and to have been touched by less than six degrees of separation to royalty must be pleasing enough Bertie lad??? hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bertie and YAM-aunty, now I feel six degrees of separation for having read this! My mom even knows how to do the royal wave, and she is from the US!

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, we think that whole mission of Gail's with Fiona and Doyle would have been a much bigger success if you had been allowed to go too!!! And if you WERE there, Camilla would not have been able to resist coming right over to you and giving you a nice tummy rub.

    As for autumn v. fall, Mom uses both, but she thinks "autumn" has a classier air about it:)

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can not believe you were not allowed along to wanderthe estate
    Hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh to meet Camilla in a forest is like getting an invitation for tea, right? maybe you are on the royal christmas card list this year? and maybe we can call you sir bertie soon?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doyle has a fun job! I wish I could go to work with Momma, but it's kind of nice to get a chance to nap at home and rest up for all the work I do at home snoopervising Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Muddy paws are da best!
    Wags,
    Ranger

    ReplyDelete