Monday 23 July 2018

Wheelie House at Cullykhan Beach


When Gail announced that this weekend we would be visiting Molly and Neil, her friends in Macduff, never ever in my wildest dreams did I imagine we would be going for a ride in a wheelie house!

Gosh, I was so excited when I found out, my tail nearly wagged itself loose. On Saturday afternoon, Molly, Neil, daughter Nancy and lurcher Maisie, plus Gail and myself, piled into the vehicle and drove all the way to Cullykhan Beach.

Despite the foreign sounding name, Cullykhan really is in Scotland!  It's a most delightful place, a sandy wee cove on the Moray Firth, hidden away just round the corner from the village of Pennan, about ten miles east of Macduff.

Down at the beach, a short steep walk from the car park, Maisie and I were quite happy sniffing the rocks and seaweed, Molly did a spot of bird-watching and, can you believe it, Neil, Gail and Nancy all went for a swim!

There are no cafés or other facilities at Cullykhan, and I have to say I was most relieved that the humans were able to make themselves a nice hot pot of tea in the wheelie house after their dip in the chilly waters. Eventually Gail's fingers recovered their natural colour`and Neil stopped shivering enough to hold his mug of tea more or less steadily. (Nancy, demonstrating that sometimes teenagers have more sense than so-called grown-ups, had worn a wetsuit and was just fine).

Although Neil and Gail spent the rest of the day loudly declaring what a wonderful time they'd had in the water, methinks that sometimes the lady (and gent) doth protest too much, and my position vis-à-vis the advisability of keeping all four paws on dry land remains unchanged.

I would so love to have spent the night in the Wheelie House at Cullykhan, but sadly it was not to be. We did go for a short walk around a nearby Iron Age hill fort (Fort Fiddes), where Maisie and I found the recycling potential of a trail of fox poop far more interesting than the archaeology, and then we reluctantly returned to Macduff.

12 comments:

  1. ooooh a rolling house... I often dream about that... wow!!! and da beach and a day with a Lurcher, wow wow!!! the mama loves Lurchers and she always grins when she remembers what job they had once many moons ago ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a ride in a Wheelie House AND a wonderful time at the beach?!?! That sounds like the most pawfect of weekends Bertie.
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hai Om
    OMD Bertie lad, you've got me all jelly green with wishfulment that I could share such a trip. I too dream of owning a wheelie house like this and travelling all our land in it. Only recently (as in last visit to Edinburgh) I purchased the next best thing; inflatable mattress, one-hob gas stove, a cooking tiffin and camp cutlery set... I'd already bought the wee stool at the Needham Mkt car boot sale and there's a tent in Li'l Ren's trunk which was left behind by Oscar. I'm ready for anything. Now if only the clouds would get out of bed around here. They've been lying in since Wednesday last!!!

    BTW - that Maisie looks rather fetching... hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bertie OMCs you and Gail have the most fun...never in 87 years would I have guessed you went in a wheelie house....mom cackled at this "my tail nearly wagged itself loose". Frankly I breathed a sigh of relief when I realized your WFT was still attached to your handsome self. Mom agrees no dunking herself in chilly water.

    Hugs Madi and thank you for the link we thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you found a much better spot in your wheelie house than we did this last week.
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic weekend for all! We bet it is a lot of fun to ride in a wheelie house, and especially with good friends. Even you and Maisie found some great fun together.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wheelie houses are lots of fun. And gosh, I do wonder what seaweed smells like - and fox poop, too. Sounds kind of magical.

    P.S.: This is Ruby from The Daily Pip. We changed our blog name to myrescuedlife.com - but wanted you to know, it's still us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my!!! What a lovely day at the shore. We do think it is about time our pawrents took us on another wheely house trip!!
    xoxo,
    Rosy, Arty & Jakey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Bertie,

    What an amazing little Beach, and what a fun little house! I do not swim either. I will stay with you on the shore.

    Licks,
    Cobi

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun getaway in a wheelie house. We have never been in one and it looks like the way to travel!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMD, everyone's having fun in wheelie houses! I need to talk Momma into one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bertie - I would strongly advise against going in the North Sea at this time of the year - or any time of the year.

    ReplyDelete