Wednesday, 15 February 2017

A 'webinar'? More like an OUTRAGE!


Friends, it pays sometimes to keep close tabs on what one's human is up to, doesn't it?

Perhaps you should know that Gail signed up for a free 'webinar' last week, titled 'How to write a blog that people want to read'. It was organised by some 'Women Writers' School' that she came across while working on something entirely unrelated. She thought it might be interesting.

Entirely behind my back, she submitted MY BLOG for evaluation, as part of the process. Like it was written by her, not me!

A few days later, she received this email from Laurie, the lady who runs these webinars. I have highlighted my particular areas of concern:

Hi Gail,

Many thanks for sending in your blog and for coming along to the webinar. I've had a look and, whilst you're clearly a really good writer, I think you'd need to do quite a bit of reshaping to bring your blog into the kind of form it needs to bring a lot of traffic to it. 

Your topic is one that I'm sure could be worth pursuing professionally. A quick search for blogs about pet behavior or health brings up lots of results. I also think that a blog told from the point of view of a dog would appeal to readers searching on these topics. 

However, I would strongly recommend that you work on developing the voice of this blog, namely with the goal of creating a fictional character that is the dog narrating the blog. I wouldn't center the blog around a living pet, but rather an imaginary pet with a strong personality. This would take some creative writing know how. I'm not sure how much creative writing experience you have or if that idea appeals at all, but I think that could be a way of bringing this potentially really original, quirky blog into a more professional realm. 

For my market research, could you take a look at my Online Self Promotion course and let me know if it would be of interest and why or why not? Here's the relevant link: http://womenwritersschool.com/online-self-promotion/ 

Any thoughts you can give me about it are very helpful - this is how I make sure my courses work well for my clients!

Best wishes,

Laurie.

So what's all this then about needing to work on "developing the voice" and suggesting the blog would be better if it featured  "an imaginary pet with a strong personality"?

AN IMAGINARY PET!!!! 

Talk about kicking a chap when he is down. (Yes my paws are still sore.)
 
Really I am quite hurt and insulted. I asked Gail to promise me she will not engage in any further exercises of this kind. 

I am pleased to report that she has assured me she signed up for the webinar only out of curiosity, and and she is quite happy with my blog just as it is.
 

35 comments:

  1. ummmmm... bertie, I love your blog like it is... it's a blog about you a REAL WHFT... and to live in a tamagotchi world with virtual pets was "in" in the 90's... just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    ...that bit about 'onlne self-promotion' clearly applies to Laurie. I trust Gail's curiosity is suitably satisfied and there will be no more forays into such clear and present mischief!!! The said Laurie clearly understands very little indeed beyond what is fiction.

    You, on the other paw (sorry to mention the sore subject), Bertie lad, are one of the best blog writers around. Blogville is a place of quality bloggers. Don't you let another of your darling furs be disturbed by this blip on the week.

    ... no voice indeed.... mutter, mutter, mutter....... grrr... Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail says: I too was 'surprised' at the no voice implication...

      Delete
  3. Oh Bertie - if Laurie's comments weren't so insulting, words would fail me ! What was Gail thinking - a temporary insanity we suspect ! Surely she didn't pay good money for this advice ???
    We love your blog just as it is ! We agree with YAM-aunty that whoever this person is, she has no idea at all about blogs and the wonderful ones you doggies write. She's just after making a quick buck or two !
    Sorry that your poorly paws are still hurting. Sending some kisses to help them get better.

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail says: rest assured the hour long webinar and 'advice' I signed up for was free!

      Delete
  4. Well I did have to laff at this Bertie……what do peeps nose eh? Its US that read your blog, your furfriends, we are REAL and in the FURS not IMAGINARY, what was that peep thinking of????
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx
    PeeS Glad the webinar was free!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's next? Imaginary science, imaginary facts, imaginary math? Don't trot off down the slippery slope.
    Bonnie n Kenzie, where one plus one always equals a whole lotta fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Bertie! You blog is perfect just as it is. I think maybe Laurie deserves a nip from a certain 4-legged gentleman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GOOD GRIEF BERTIE I AM HURT AND INSULTED FOR YOU. Laurie clearly needs read all the comments you receive. Obviously she is not in the know about animal blogs. YOURS IS PERFECT X 87,000. Does not need to be revamped or changed. One does not mess with perfection!!! I bet if your paws had not been sore you would have traipsed over to give her a piece of your mind.
    When do you think you will hear back from the vet on the paw culture?
    Hugs madi your bfff and in case you didn't know WE LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps for a market of people who don't want to know real pets living in Scotland those are good ideas . . . . . or that nice lady doesn't know what she is talking about. We think you have a voice and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clearly the ignorant, self promoting woman who solicited a copy of your blog thinks you are "too good to be true." She has never known a true wire. Next time, tell her to look at the pictures. Reading your wisdom is beyond her.

    Teka Toy (all filters off)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pure bunk. If I were interested in reading fiction, or a blog devoted exclusively to pet health or behavior, I would do that. I am interested in Bertie's blog. I love his (and Gail's) commentary on all sorts of issues. I especially look forward to photos and descriptions of walks and places in Scotland (and elsewhere), where I'm unlikely to go. I loved the blog about the diversity of Bertie's neighborhood. I love the photos of his many adventures (trails, bakeries and pubs). All I can say is that it's a good thing the webinar was free; at least it was only a waste of a wee bit (thanks, Bertie, for enlarging my vocabulary) of time. Best, the Cardis Three and the old borderish colliesh from CA/NH/SC usa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How interesting! Too bad she didn't understand what Blogville was all about. Fictional? Phew!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! I'm not sure she knows what she is talking about!

    Monty, Harlow, and Ramble

    ReplyDelete
  13. WHAT!!!!! I would have logged off of the webinar
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love your blog as it is. It looks like that lady never heard of the pet blogosphere... Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  15. An imaginary pet??? What da woof?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bertie, I neglected to add that hearing about Human Grannie is important to me. The posts about selling her home and the fate of her well-loved and still usable wooden furniture were both poignant and memorable. And very non-fiction, I might add.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail says: What a good memory you have, Fay. I am really touched. Thank you.

      Delete
  17. OMD! We think that class is a fraud! We've always hated blogs that tell people to pick up poo, or Ads for products, advice on food, etc. (We blame those Blogpaws conventions for that.) And they certainly get LESS traffic from us. We LOVE hearing about your scientific studies and the wonderful scenery of Scotland. You don't need more traffic, you need quality traffic. Keep up the good work.

    If you want TRAFFIC, start a Fake News blog....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail says: totally agree about preferring quality traffic, and thank you being part of that!

      Delete
  18. UMMMM....is this for real? You're just fine to me, Bertie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What??? that lady apparently knows nothing about successful blogs
    hugs
    MR Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  20. Obviously this Laurie lady didn't notice how many of us already are listening your voice, Bertie!!

    Sheesh!!!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Original voice??? You have a very original voice - I don't know any other scientific dogs on the web. Not only scientific but charismatic, charming, athletic, etc. Glad you are not listening to her.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How insulting to you and your Mum. You have a wonderful blog! Sounds like someone is looking to make money selling their "self promotion" course. Nose licks and love from Moth xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bertie, personally I think your voice is just perfect as it is!

    Best regards

    Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely outrageous!! Who wants to read about an imaginary pet anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bertie, when I want to read about imaginary animals, I can turn to Beatrix Potter or A. A. Milne. Laurie's advice is laughable. In all seriousness, your blog is one of the very best. (And of course we know that YOU write it with only an occasional assist from Gail.)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my giddy aunt. Your blog and that of Monsieur Bob and Mlle Sophie are just perfection. Fans and readers worldwide. Is that sort of traffic not good enough? Really!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - we are deeply honoured to be even mentioned in the same breath as the great Bob and Sophie!

      Delete
  27. It is 18th February today in Australia and I just wanted to wish you a very, very happy Birthday. The Big 7 today. I would expect that there are a lot of special things planned for the day. I wish you a very long and happy life. love from one of your fans in the antipodes. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  28. WHAT??? Ridiculous. There are so many famous Dogs who started out on blogs, like Rueben (from Floppy Tongue Joy) and Plum (from Plum Dog Blog). They both have books, and in fact Plum is everywhere in our local book store right now. And they are REAL DOGS! Ridiculous. Keep your voice, friend, and tell your human to stop using Google. =)

    Licks,
    Cobi

    ReplyDelete