Monday 5 September 2016

Bertie in problem solving mode on Morven



So Gail was up early on Sunday, all bright eyed and bushy tailed (er, or was that me?)

"Rise and shine Bertie, we're going for a hill walk today, time to get in training for Switzerland*".

An hour's drive, and I recognised where we were no soon as I'd bounced out the car. Yippee (I said to myself), we're going to climb Morven, my favourite Aberdeenshire hill.

I have to tell you that the first bit of this walk is steep, and Gail was quite red of face when we stopped for a rest on the way up. Of course I was not content with the gravy bone she offered me, and let it be known that I would appreciate a piece of her flapjack too.

To Gail's objection that said treat contained chocolate and thus was unsuitable for dogs, I countered that the chocolate was restricted to a single layer so she could easily nibble it off, problem solved, and also this would be good practice for all those bars of Lindt she will doubtless be consuming in Switzerland...

I'm pleased to report that Gail acted on my helpful suggestion, the chocolate flapjack was duly de-toxified and I found it most delicious.

Before continuing upwards, Gail noticed a dragonfly in a little pond nearby. Can you spot it too?


It was a bit boring watching her try to catch this  flighty insect on camera, and the green pond water looked so inviting.

So I jumped in, thinking perhaps I might reprise the 'First Class Traveller' look I had modelled so successfully once before in Edinburgh.

And then I got stuck!

A lesser dog might at this stage have panicked. But I knew what to do. I emitted a little yelp, just enough to attract Gail's attention, and sure enough, she came over and gently extracted me from the bog. Although not before - somewhat insensitively I thought - taking a photo of my predicament...


Well, we finally reached the summit without further incident...


....and while Gail admired the view over to Lochnagar...


...I ensured no crumbs were left behind from her picnic lunch...

And then I pointed out we'd better hurry on down before the rain arrived.


*Yes, I really am going to join Gail on a big trip to Switzerland in October. More on this in due course...

17 comments:

  1. Oh I saw the dragonfly... it looks like a bonsai howl-i-copter :o) do you think I should train too before I go "nearly" to switzerland?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are SO jealous of your trip to Switzerland! Me and Teka and Dad would love the great long walks. Muzzer would tag along for the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Training for Switzerland is important, and you are clearly doing a good job at it. You seem to have mastered the getting her to share treats, a key component.
    Yes it was a skunk in our ditch. We unfortunately have skunks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bertie it is obvious Gail would be lost without your helpful suggestions (you have trained her well)!
    Oh my stars. You jumped in after the dragonfly! For sure a repeat from the train platform...head first and think later!
    Dang Gail does like my mom...everything presents a Kodak moment! How long a train ride is it to Switzerland?
    We are excited gpfor you and Gail
    Hugs Madi your bffff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    glad you remembered your 'vacuuming' duties up the hillside, Bertie lad.... but goodness me... you call that a dragon fly??? This is a dragonfly!!! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx
    (pee ess to Gail - actually, you did well - that's a very nice shot, given the thing was in flight. Only managed mine coz the critter was heat stupified... Yxx)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a beautiful scenic climb. Glad you enjoyed a nibble of flapjack (minus the chocolate parts of course). You and Gail sound like you are Switzerland fit and ready now. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great thinking, Bertie. Fancy even trying to bring a snack that can't be shared.

    That looks like the perfect day out..except for the bog incident. Hope you beat the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are sooooo happy that you get to go on Holiday with Gail to Switzerland!! In fact, we are so happy we won't even mention that Mama giggled a bit at the sight of you trying to get out of the bog while we looked at her in outrage...how dare Gail take a photo of you before pulling you free?!

    Ooops, I guess we will mention it...
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adventure and the climb does look quite steep. Glad you were able to get a few bites of flapjack minus the chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful view! Sounds like it was quite the adventure. We will wait to hear about Switzerland!!!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bertie you are so funny and everything you show is so beautiful thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crikey Bertie that was a great walk, aye? Where was everyone else? Did you and Gail have that whole hill all to yourself? Mum would love that. you look as if you are miles from anywhere.. Another planet, even!!! Wonder if there are any hills in Switzerland with no peeps on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlie! We did see a small group of people at the summit - Gail asked one of them to take our photo. Otherwise, no-one, just mountain hares, grouse and too many sheep. Gail has promised me that there are restaurants at the top of Swiss mountains. Can that really be true? Toodle pip! Bertie.

      Delete
  13. What a grreat trip! I love all your hiking adventures and can't wait to read all about Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bertie - Your very own pet passport !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I think I remember this from when you showed us a stone house that was falling apart because my stone wall was coming down at the time. Bertie you got stuck ~ teach you to jump in ~ why the bottom might have been way down.
    We could never make a climb like that. They would just find our bones.
    Thanks for being a friend
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete