And were you too not struck by the generous supply of godparents awarded to the wee royal laddie?
Gail is always telling me how fortunate she was in her parents' choices of her godparents. First there was HGD's older brother, Uncle Jack. How I would have loved to visit him. A delightful man, by all accounts, the more so, surely, because he owned and ran the village butchers shop in Hartfield, Sussex. A butchers shop! Imagine! Then there was wealthy Great Aunty Dot, who lived in Leicestershire in a house with two staircases and a billiard room, and kept a poodle and an alsatian, plus various cats and horses. Thirdly, Doris in Lucerne, strong, independent-minded and generous, the lady Gail once described to a colleague as a role model (to which the colleague responded "that's a Swiss roll model then?")
|Uncle Jack c.1996|
|Doris in 2005|
Surely it is not too late?
Perhaps some of my blog friends would like to apply for the post. In which case, let me specify some of the traits I would be looking for in a
- Live in an attractive part of the world where dog-friendly trails are plentiful.
- Be hospitable to boisterous visitors.
- Have loads of free time and the desire to spend it with a bouncy WFT.
- Possess a moth-free wallet, and an in-depth knowledge of local pet treat suppliers.
- Be relaxed about the animals on furniture issue, bearing in mind a favourite quote from Doris. "We own the house, the house doesn't own us".
- Enjoy cuddles, laughs and adventures.
Applications can be made via comments on this blog.