Friday 2 November 2012

Agility: distracted by girls?



So, before this week's agility training session started, I had to listen to a great long lecture by Gail.


"Bertie pay attention now please. Earlier this week I forked out the grand sum of £10 to enter you in your first ever agility competition. It takes place just outside Aberdeen on Saturday 8th December and I know it says on the blurb that it's a 'Just For Fun' show but I shall be taking it all very seriously indeed and I expect you to do the same. I have to tell you that I was most disappointed by your performance at training last week, and I think our trainer Shaun was too. One would have thought you were a complete beginner at agility, which you are not. You really must learn not to be so distracted by the girl dogs in your class. Especially that fluffy wee Pippa..."

Not for the first time, I couldn't believe my flappy little ears. What was all this about me being distracted by girls? (And heaven help me if Addi hears about it...) The truth is that I had NO IDEA what I was supposed to be doing that week 'cos Gail kept forgetting which order I was supposed to be jumping the obstacles and was just waving her arms in a random fashion so I got all confused. Personally I think the underlying problem was that Gail was all stressed 'cos of worrying about her Dad, but I'm just a dog, what would I know?

Anyway, I must say that my three young lady dog agility training companions are very nice indeed (although in no way distracting) and I'm sure my blog readers would like to meet them.

Here is Cassie, with her handler Kevin.


As you can see, Cassie is a swotty collie, and would not waste time looking at the camera as she was far too focussed on trying to figure out the optimum angles to approach all the jumps.


Then there's Maddy. I think she enjoys posing for photos.


She is super quick over the obstacles too. And these days she even waits for Alison to give the 'go' signal before racing off.


Finally, yes, of course there's wee Pippa.


Isn't she cute? She's a relative newcomer and it's only polite for me to go and make her and her young handler Bethany feel welcome isn't it?


But I am totally not being distracted by her.


I hope that's quite clear.

19 comments:

  1. Oh Bertie...we hope you did real good for your mom this time!! But those are pretty cute pups all about you. Mistaya wishes she could do that kind of fun stuff as she likes to run fast thru all kinds of stuff in the woods. Her favorite thing is to either leap way over the big logs or run the full length of them. She has so much fun. But I like to just mosie along and watch everything going on around me.
    Good luck with that stuff!
    Hugs and Wags, Maggie and Mistaya and our mom Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some how we are not going for the not distracted bit, man up and confess Bertie!!! Now start payning attention to your skills competition!!!

    Your Furiends
    Susie & Bites

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's totally clear, Bertie! I see RIGHT through you. BOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You distracted by girls???!!! What's wrong with those girls, they should be distracted by YOU!!

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course its all very clear to all of us: You want to chase the girls (especially that cute little Bijon) and have your usual fun with them. Not gonna work here, Bertie, gonna have to knuckle down and get busy with your agility skills.

    Go, Bertie, Go!

    Your pal Stella

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those girls are trying to get you in trouble. They sure are good at distracting
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Bertie.... You better focus! Otherwise Gail might start holding back your treats.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  8. We believe you Bertie. No way were you distracted. We too think Gails' waving arms were the problem. We can just picture the windmill impersonation. Have a super Saturday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh. Dear Bertie, itn't it hard when you try your best to be sociable and all you get is a lecture. Fair enough if you had wanted to do the rumpy humpy, but just to have a little teeny sniff with a few friends, well, gosh, that is totally unfair. We hope your Gail got her act together during your Agility course. Good luck with your next Agility mates.
    No worries, and love, Stella and Rory
    P.S. Gail we send you hugs and slobber and some for your Dad too cause we are thinking of him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with you Bertie, I am sure you only have eyes for Addi. Pippa is Mommies favorite. I bet Gail was just distracted and is finding a way to blame you as our peeps like to do. I know you will do your best and she will be proud. Good luck

    Loveys Sasha

    p.s. Mommy hopes that Gails Dad is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why you might be just a tiny bit distracted. She is a looker!

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  12. We see no signs of distraction while working; just perfectly civil communion while awaiting your turns. We think you're right about Gail being distracted by worry and we know you'll be patient and loving with her. Hope HGD is keeping well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bewtie
    I'm shoowe you wewe just being youw polite and welcoming self wif Pippa and the othew giwls..I would nevew believe that you wewe distwacted. Gail has a lot on hew mind, so I'm shoowe you will fowgive hew hew distwacshun
    I know you will do wondewfully on youw agility twial
    smoochie kisses
    ASTA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bertie...that Pippa has an adorable bottom, just like mine. It's perfectly understandable to be besotted and distracted. Boy dogs be sott me all the time....

    It looks really really cold in that barn...perhaps that's why Gail is waving her arms all around...to keep warm....

    Run fast, dear Bertie...keep that blood flowing!!!

    Miss Lacie Adorable Bottomcakes

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Bertie and Gail,

    Thank you for taking the time to stop by Suka's blog and write such kind words of sympathy after Suka's passing. It meant a lot to me. Knowing that others care and understand, and reading your heartfelt words, helps me in my grief.

    Suka just loved Bertie and often wished Bertie lived closer so they could play together. Suka always enjoyed Bertie's humorous, witty, and unique view on life and events. Suka also always enjoyed the photos of all the wonderful places Bertie visits. Suka always left Bertie's blog with a smile on his face and happiness in his heart. Thank you for being such a dear friend to Suka.

    Warmly,

    KrisAnne (Suka's human)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can tell that you VERY focused and not distracted by the other dogs at ALL! I am thinking that Maddy should win a prize just for her ears - she sure can hold them straight and high.

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mom is trying to figure out how to use New Blogger so she clicked on a few things and wound up with an empty comment. We are so excited that you found our apearance exciting -- but right now our mom is having a hissy fit of frustration. Asta is trying to help and we've advanced far enough that we can write, but can't find the link for photos.

    Wirey woofs,

    And that's our sad story!!!

    Jake and JH

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bertie,
    Having seen my momma running about in circles and crying out "what next? what next?" at our agility school, I am taking your side in that the fault for any missteps during your run land squarely in the court of your Gail. Let's hope she is not so easily distracted in future.

    Kisses,
    Dexter

    ReplyDelete