Thursday 28 July 2011

Creature of habit

After a stay in the 'special vacation residence' it's so nice to be home, and back to the familiar daily routine.

An early morning run in the park, greet my pals, then stop by the paper shop on the way home to pick up the Guardian. (We are proud to be Guardian readers in this household, where a boycott of all Murdoch-owned media has been in operation for decades.) A quick post-walk grooming session, accompanied by a crunchy treat to keep teeth busy and away from the brush.... Curl up in favourite armchair and watch Gail fire up the computer and focus on her work. Occasionally remind her of my presence by jumping up and snatching a pen or a tissue off her desk.

Mid-morning coffee for Gail and playtime for me.

(See my new toy, a Newfoundland dog stuffie. Friends you were right, Gail is not so mean after all.)

A lunchtime romp in the garden and a noisy conversation across the wall with next door neighbour, springer spaniel Molly.

Later on, another, longer walk, maybe by the river, along the old railway line, into town, or, on a good day, a short drive in the car to a nearby wood.

Then it's dinner time. Kibble and perhaps another treat. A cuddle from lodger Marie-Thérèse if she's in.

A five minute pre-bedtime trot round the block, then down for the night on comfy kitchen cushion, with hot-water bottle (yes, even in summer) and another wee treat.

Then sweet dreams 'til morning.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, isnt it nice to get back to the routine Bertie?? I knew Gail would come through fur you! Enjoy your new toy!!!

    wags
    Jazzi and Addy

    ReplyDelete
  2. When do we get to hear about Gail's vacation, with some pictures? I know its YOUR blog, Bertie, but why not share so we can see a bit of Newfoundland!

    Kisses,
    Stella

    ReplyDelete
  3. So maybe Gail's not so bad afterall... Good to know.

    -Gizmo, art and Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bertie - Therer is nothing but nothing like a comfy kitchen cushion . Gail , as a fellow Guardian reader might like a current joke told to me by one of the gannets over breakfast : - " Rupert Murdoch says he has been touched by the many messages left on Amy Winehouse's phone ".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks dog you are home again. My Family left me once at my Grandparents just for one day and it was awful (actually it was great but don`t tell my mom.

    So,I`m a 3 years old Westie from Slowenia and just started my Blog a few days ago. I think you blog is awesome. Well my English is not that good and my vocabulary suffers a little bit, but give my best. Hope you wisit my blog some day.

    Greetings from Slowenia,
    Mai the Westie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Angus' Murdoch joke....having never been a Murdoch fan.

    Bertie, sounds like an idealic life to us!

    XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just KNEW you were gonna get MORE than that Puffin Poop. THAT is grrrrreat Newfie stuffie...
    NOW... how long do you plan to let it continue to BE a STUFFIE???
    I prefer mine.. Unstuffed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daily routine sounds purrfect to me. My days are never the same. Always something different goin' on! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We agree back to the same routine could be sort of relaxing
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice toy there Bertie. See that Gail isn't bad after all. And I agree, nothing better than routine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grrreat stuffie there Bertie!

    I sure was hopin that Gail was not so stingy that she only brought you back poop! BOL

    Enjoy your new Newfie stuffie!

    woos, Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. So how was the puffin poop? Inquiring minds want to know.

    Nice to see Murdoch so hated on both sides of the Atlantic - and possibly the Pacific. He doesn't have any newspapers - yet - in the D.C. area, but he sure uses Faux News to whip the right wing into an ignorant frenzy. Hope he doesn't slither out from under this mess, but he probably will.
    Good joke, Angus!

    Jed & Abby

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ciao!your blog is really nice, I start one while I'm on vacation. Using my paws to write is really relaxing.Hope you bounce on my blog one of this day. Greetings from an italian wire fox terrier!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Bertie!
    Wow, welcome back to your normal self! I think you day sounds perfect! Food, toys, peeps, walks, barks, naps...you've got it all!
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, COP

    ReplyDelete
  15. All Bertie all the time. The best staycation ever.

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete